starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first post. This is video of me squatting at 70kg. I am aware of major problem in squat depth in this video. But aside from that, plz let me know if other elements of form are correct.

Thanks.

Video is private or otherwise not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Video is private or otherwise not available.
    Sorry about that. It was on private setting . I think it is fixed now.

Can't see how wide your feet are from this angle but I have a feeling your stance is incorrect. You need to drop the weight down a lot and get your form squared away. Look at a spot on the floor about 5 feet in front of you and never take your eyes off of it. Shove your hips back and point your chest at the floor. Get the bar into the heel of your hand and shove your elbows up to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Socks and shoes.

Thanks for your feedback @ Kelli. Thanks Satch, are socks and shoes necessary for squatting? If so, I will use them for the next workouts. Also my safety rail is placed at a height which just about allows parallel depth in squat. The next lower height for the rail is about 7-8 inches lower which is too low I assume. Was wondering if its possible to place the rail at this lower height while still allowing me to bail when stuck at the bottom. I find myself often stuck at the bottom, could it be due to slowing down at the bottom of the movement. Can an experience lifter plz advice on how to avoid getting stuck at bottom, the correct height to place the safety rails with widely spaced markings on the racks, also the correct speed and how to bounce at the bottom of the movement. Could not clarify this issue after reading the starting strength book and video. Sorry for the long question but thanks a ton for your inputs.

Hi Maverick!

You say you've read the book, but I'm going to have to suggest that you read it (at least the squat chapter) again. Perhaps read it twice more. There are so many things off here that it's easier to tell you to read the book than it is to list them all.

Then:

1. Start over completely with an empty bar for your first workout. Video several sets with the empty bar to make sure you're doing things as described in the book. The most obvious issue is depth. You need to go about a foot lower than you are now. The hip joint should be just below the knee when you are in the bottom position. This is in the book. You will need to lower the safety bars to achieve this. You won't get stuck if you reset to the appropriate weight.

2. Once you've got the form correct (or very close to correct), add maybe 5 kilos and do another set of 5 with the same exact form. Repeat this adding of 5 kilos until you get to a set where the bar speed slows JUST a little bit. Then do two more sets at that weight. This should be your first squat workout. All this is in the book.

3. You do need shoes. Weightlifting shoes are pretty much a universal recommendation. Get them and use them.

4. Start eating more. A lot more. See the Nutrition forum on this board for more details. You will need more food energy in order to make strength gains and add muscular bodyweight which I assume are your goals.

Best of luck!

Yes, socks and shoes are necessary. Place the safety bars lower than you have it. You can still bail with it at a lower height; You just slowly lower down and go to your knees. However, you should not be trying to squat with a weight heavy enough to make you fail. Stay with the empty bar until you can consistently squat to depth, then start increasing by no more than 10 lbs. per workout. Now go get something to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nathan View Post
    Now go get something to eat.
    Really, mav. Do this.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to Bostonrugger, Peter Nathan and wlangstroth. Incidentally I started with an empty bar and gradually went up to current weight but technique deteriorated with time. I will incorporate all your suggestions and appreciate your feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast