starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift/squat form check

Default Deadlift/squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys - any feedback on my lifts would be appreciated. I'm running a 5/3/1 variation at the moment - these lifts are from my 1+ set.

1x190kg deadlift
    Deadlift 190kg - YouTube
    I felt like I had a bit left in the tank here. I know that I don't get my shins vertical and I know that this is wrong, but I'm wondering how wrong it is? Will I die if I keep deadlifting like this forever?

1x147.5kg (high bar) squat
    Squat 147.5kg - YouTube
    Again, I feel like I had a fair bit left in the tank, though I get a bit wobbly in the hole.

TIA!

In general, read the sticky on the top of the tech forum. You will get more feedback out of a set of 5 vice a heavy single. Also, I won't comment on your programming choices here, someone else can tackle that...

Deadlift:

Your setup is not in line with what SS teach, causing you to move the bar forward of mid foot when you setup. You could set your back into extension harder, but otherwise it looked light.

In regards to your setup, memorize and follow the below steps:

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Squat:

You won't get much feedback on high bar squats here, considering we teach/preach the lowbar squat. Also, the plates block your body for most of the lift.

Have you tried low bar squatting? From your high bar mechanics and your proportions (what I can see of it), it should come easier to you than most.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 06-02-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added squats

On the deadlift the bar starts slightly in front of where it should be, then your shins bang into it during your 'setup & squeeze' and push it even further forward. When you actually pull off the floor it's far out in front (not an efficient position). Also, on the descent your knees break too early and the bar has to go around them. This will cause problems if you're doing more than 1 rep because the bar isn't landing in the right spot (plus catching your kneecaps with the bar is never fun). Focus on locking the lower body during your 'chest squeeze' so you don't compress the legs into the bar (causing it to roll forward).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've read that deadlift setup several times before and thought I was doing it (at least initially) but I guess it's easy to get complacent.

I high bar squat because I have a shoulder thing low bar squatting seems to exacerbate - that's pretty much the only reason. I've tried low bar squatting a little before, but I don't think it's really for me.