starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check...

Default Squat Form Check...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone.

I live in Brazil, so I may make some english mistakes, sorry for that.
    In my city that is not a Powerlifting Gym, only CrossFit Gyms, so I train in a common gym, where no one else do squats below parallel and the instructors always come to tell me about the dangers of going low or to say I should do RDL instead of regular DL.

Its hard to find angles to record in my gym, so thats basically the only one I can achieve without having to ask for the instructor to record for me.

I`ve been trying to squat for the last 6 months or so, and always tryin` to improve my form. But Im not happy with it. I`ve read the Starting Strength more than a year ago.

I think my biggest problems are my core bracing, the big butt wink, and poor dorsiflexion. Also, I`m seeing that my heels are kind coming out of the floor

This video has some of my last workouts. I think my butt wink got smaller by the last workout, cause I have widen up my stance.

Thank you guys for the support and for helping people like me get stronger.
    Last edited by fernandojeller; 06-05-2016 at 05:52 PM.

I'm no expert (far from it in fact), but the most obvious thing to me is the bar position on your back, or rather in this case, on your neck. Presumably you are trying to do a low-bar squat, but you have the bar positioned for a high-bar squat. You need to move the bar way down your back.

Watch these two videos and you'll see what I mean:
    The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe
    How to Low Bar Squat With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    I'm no expert (far from it in fact), but the most obvious thing to me is the bar position on your back, or rather in this case, on your neck. Presumably you are trying to do a low-bar squat, but you have the bar positioned for a high-bar squat. You need to move the bar way down your back.

Watch these two videos and you'll see what I mean:
    The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe
    How to Low Bar Squat With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness

In fact, I started with low bar squats, but I used to have too much lumbar flexion in the bottom position.
    Anyone knows how can I correct it and if its a major problem?

Then Ive changed to high bar squats.
    The book also cover this variation.
    Last edited by fernandojeller; 06-06-2016 at 04:53 PM.

I would recommend low bar squats.

But with the video shown, you're not bracing your core, you're descending way too fast and losing tightness at the bottom. For future reference, if you decide to low bar, that is far too deep.

And butt wink is not a thing. Lumbar flexion is and it is a correctable problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    I would recommend low bar squats.

But with the video shown, you're not bracing your core, you're descending way too fast and losing tightness at the bottom. For future reference, if you decide to low bar, that is far too deep.

And butt wink is not a thing. Lumbar flexion is and it is a correctable problem.
    I will try low bar squats again today!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandojeller View Post
    I will try low bar squats again today!
    Read the squat chapter again before.