starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adaptation to Hook Grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You learn to block out the sensation of pain, but like Robert said. If you are doing a lot of work it can wear you down and cause an inhibition. That's when the straps are needed.
    Time isn't really a factor after a few weeks you develop some work hardening on the friction areas of the hand. Mine is more sensitive to volume than load for example 25-30 work reps..sometimes it is achievable hooked..sometimes I have to strap it. Things just start to get raw with a competition type knurl and after a set or two you have done enough to improve the grip for the day. Straps remove the pain and the lifts get easier without that noise.

I've been working on my hook grip for the 1st time in training for about a month so I thought I'd chime in now. I started with just hooked warmups and have been adding an additional hooked workset per session (I'm currently doing 6 lighter worksets of 2-3 reps/set). It is definitely getting better but still painful at 4 worksets. I've noticed that each successive set seems to be more painful, so I'd say that so far I seem more sensitive to volume than anything else. I'm hoping that I'll just get used to the pain and numbness enough that I can regularly get through the whole session hooked. Like some of the others here it seems that hook grip does keep my form a bit better than mixed grip, so long as I'm not in agony from the hook grip itself.
    Last edited by bustermonkey2; 11-29-2016 at 03:57 PM.

I've found that when I ust the hook/double overhand grips that my form does seem to improve but I still use the switch grip when getting in to my main working sets.

No need to brutalize your thumbs, just use straps when you reach the point where you cant pull double overhand on your own.
    Throw in a little grip work to keep your grip up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    No need to brutalize your thumbs, just use straps when you reach the point where you cant pull double overhand on your own.
    Throw in a little grip work to keep your grip up to par.
    This is excellent advice. Goggins agrees, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This is excellent advice. Goggins agrees, too.
    Pete Rubish also uses this approach. Pete is an amazing Deadlifter.

starting strength coach development program
    I've recently switched to the hook grip. It's awkward at first, not really painful, but can get uncomfortable. Dead lifts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123