Thread: squat depth check

Default squat depth check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Stats:

31 yo, 195 lbs, 5' 11"

Max lifts on SS

sq: 285x5x3 (did 295x5,4,2, before deloading)
    bp:165x5x3
    op:120x5x3
    dl: 350x5

Story:

I did the 295 a couple weeks ago and then had to take off for a conference. When I came back, my squat depth was *all sorts of fucked up.* My training partner, who had been saying I'd been consistently hitting depth, informed me that now my squats were typically at best to parallel. Took video that revealed knees coming forward throughout the movement, etc. So, now I'm on squat rehab.

I did some squat sets this morning for shits to see if I could consistently hit depth. I think that this set (205x5) is probably the best viz depth, but I still can't tell if it's deep enough, probably because I've watched myself squat about 100x in the past two weeks and now all squats just look weird. If someone could let me know if these are deep enough or not, I'd appreciate it. If the side view is too shitty, I can post a video from rear 45 tomorrow.

ETA: apparently can't skip vimeo videos while doing embedding. Skip to 25 seconds.

Thanks
    Last edited by rjharris; 06-07-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added time to skip forward to.

Depth is there. Tightness is not.

Knees forward at the top of the descent. Keep your chest up on the ascent.

Okay, thanks for taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Knees forward at the top of the descent.
    Just to be clear, I assume that this is directed towards the knees going forward / wobble towards the bottom?

Correct. Get them in place earlier and that should stop. Think "forward at the top/backwards at the bottom"