starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I got my squat up to 330lbs but was feeling a lot of body aches (not soreness) for many hours after - I know I wasn't doing it right. I deloaded to 250lbs today to work myself back up concentrating more on form before I get hurt. Also, I have bad kinesthetic sense.

I'm 6'3, 240lbs with long legs.

2nd last set from side
    Last set from back - Youtube

Known issues:

* Not getting into lumbar extension. Before I performed the sets today, I laid on the floor with my hands on my head and lifted my legs to cue the use of the muscles for extension. I'm hoping it looks good in the video. I definitely felt I could maintain weight over the midfoot more consistently.
    * Not hitting depth (did much better in these videos but I think I have a little more to go)

Other Concerns:

* I've been toying with the stance. Is it too wide? Sometimes it hurts slightly in the thighs/quads (and they make a weird crackling sound) but can't tell why. I push through anyway.

1) You need to lean over immediately at the beginning of the descent. You currently are breaking your knees and hips first, descending a bit, and then leaning over. This is causing a less than vertical bar path (watch your video, the bar goes down, then forward, then down again), and taking your hips partially out of the movement (which is bad b/c we are trying to make this a hips movement). So, lean over and keep the bar in the imaginary vertical slot over your midfoot. 2) Don't pause at the bottom; hit your depth and drive your hips straight up towards the ceiling. 3) You are pushing your knees too far forward at the bottom, they need to be set in place by about 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the descent. But this issue might resolve itself if you correct the leaning over/vertical bar path issue.

Your lumbar extension looks fine. Your depth is iffy. Another inch would probably be good.

Try to get your next video without so much glare from the sun; makes some things hard to see.

Is his stance too wide?

You need a more horizontal back angle- even more horizontal than most. This is dictated by your anthropometric - long legs and shorter torso. Push your hips back in the start and keep the balance over mid foot (equal between ball and heel). Your belt could be a little lower and narrow your stance by a half step. Try to come up twice as fast as you go down - explode out of the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Thanks for the feedback.

I worked on depth today at same weight and tried to do a more horizontal back angle. Squat side - Youtube I took this video before I saw the last two comments - will try to incorporate Kelli's suggestions next time.

I got the depth this time. Looks like I still need to work on the horizontal back angle, I tried to lean over more this time but it feels a little weird trying to force it. Also, while you couldn't see the bar on my back due to the angles I put it lower because I thought I may have been doing a high-bar position. I'll try again tomorrow and I'll have a friend along who can help me get more angles.
    Last edited by jschipp; 11-18-2016 at 06:17 PM.

From a few different cameras, some bad, some good. Think I may need to try TUBOW. My knees seemed to bothering me a tiny bit after this set.

Is the bar position on my back correct for a low bar? Should it be lower?

Youtube - Squat from Back 255lbs
    Youtube - Squat from Back2 255lbs
    Youtube - Squat from Left 255lbs
    Youtube - Squat from Right 255lbs

The bar seems to be in an ok place. But your wrists are over extended. You need to TUBOW. It's knees out and hips back. Not hips down.

Does this look like an improvement? My knees aren't traveling as far forward.

Youtube - Knees

Still some knee slide. Shove those knees out push your hips back, not down.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey guys, I've been working on pushing my hips back and feel I'm still struggling but I think I'm getting better. Is there any queues you can think of or anything you can see in the videos that may point to a problem. One concern is that sometimes I feel I push them so far back at times I may fall backwards because my toes start to come up. I do the squats really slowly to focus on leaning forward and pushing hips back.

I didn't seem to be able to squat without knee slide with heavier weights which I thought was odd. Couldn't seem to figure out why, so instead I attached some of the best ones I did today using lighter weights.

Stance
    Last edited by jschipp; 11-30-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast