starting strength gym

Thread: Squat setup check

Default Squat setup check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The last couple of squat sessions have left me with some shoulder pain, it feels like it is right on the gleno-humeral joint. At first it was just my right shoulder, today it was both, although the left was really mild.

Here's a close up of my setup:

And my last video of my squat:

Any ideas?

It looks like you're losing tightness coming out of the bottom and your elbows rotate down a bit on each rep. Jump out of the bottom and don't let your chest drop. Elbows may also be a hair high. Literally a hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Thank you for the tips. Is this something I can train through as long as what ever I'm doing doesn't cause pain? The last thing I want is to hurt my rotator cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ravl View Post
    Thank you for the tips. Is this something I can train through as long as what ever I'm doing doesn't cause pain? The last thing I want is to hurt my rotator cuff.
    Yes. Focus specifically on staying tight. Think about it throughout the squat. Eventually it will become something you just do. Think of it like learning to ride a bike. When you first start to you are spending a lot of time focusing on balance. As you get better and become more comfortable balance isn't something you really consciously think about at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

So I took time off during the holiday, shoulders still felt unhappy through most of last week. Did a workout again on Sunday, setting my hands inside the bench markings of the bar and went up to 225#. I felt a pinch on my right shoulder on the second workset, on the third I focused on keeping my thoracic spine tight and it felt good. No lingering pain. Need to focus on my thoracic spine as I work back up towards my PR.