starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting With Mild Hip Pain

Default Squatting With Mild Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squatting 255 a few weeks ago. Got sick and had to reset. When I finally got back up to 255, I got a mild pain in my hip/quad area. It came up at around 225 after the reset, gradually getting more painful until it forced me to bail 255 a week ago. Pain is only felt at the very bottom of the squat, or when hugging my quad to my chest while standing. Pain occurs right on the hip crease.

I took a few days of from squatting and today is my first day with 205. There is a mild pain, but it is not as bad as the last time I squatted. I want to make sure my form isn't causing this pain, so, along with pointing out any technique errors, please tell me if you see anything in my form that could cause any sort of hip pain. Deadlifting does not cause any pain.

I have 2 sets, one from the side and one from a 45. ("first set" is actually the second and "second set" is the third)

Last edited by Byeah985; 11-26-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Hey,

Sounds like a hip capsule issue.

But let's address the video first

1. Get a belt (almost Christmas ask your parents for one)

2. Don't give up tightness to get into the hole. There are a few reps that look like you're dive bombing into the hole. Try to imagine "pulling" yourself into the hole this should ensure you remain tight all the way down.

3. Abs tight will be a good cue to think of when your squating since you have no belt.

4. On the side view it looks like the bar floated forward of your mid foot a few times. Fix this by slightly lifting your head. Not much just a bit.

As for the hip capsule fix:

Try this video (skip to 2:50) Clearing Hip Impingement | Feat. Kelly Starrett | Ep. 87 | MobilityWOD - YouTube - try the first exercise only with the band. Do a test retest to see if you're noticing improvement. Spend about 5-15 minutes working on it daily away from your workout times.

There is a version of this exercise that doesn't require a band so you'll be able to work on this all day long inbetween school.

Let us know if that helps!

Ps. If you get some relief but not 100% better with the first exercise I have one more suggestion (but less is more so try the first one for a week and see how it goes)
    Last edited by Quit Tomorrow; 11-27-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quit Tomorrow View Post
    Hey,

Sounds like a hip capsule issue.

But let's address the video first

1. Get a belt (almost Christmas ask your parents for one)
    A belt at such low weight? Sounds a bit extreme to me. I think I just need to learn to perform the valsalva more efficiently, specifically keeping the tightness as I decend. A belt will have it's place in the future, however.

3. Abs tight will be a good cue to think of when your squating since you have no belt.
    Yup.

4. On the side view it looks like the bar floated forward of your mid foot a few times. Fix this by slightly lifting your head. Not much just a bit.
    Funny you should say that. I noticed that too on that particular set. I set my gaze a few feet in front of previously to fix that. I remember doing that for only two or three reps, however. I'll pay attention to that.

As for the hip capsule fix:

Try this video (skip to 2:50) Clearing Hip Impingement | Feat. Kelly Starrett | Ep. 87 | MobilityWOD - YouTube - try the first exercise only with the band. Do a test retest to see if you're noticing improvement. Spend about 5-15 minutes working on it daily away from your workout times.

There is a version of this exercise that doesn't require a band so you'll be able to work on this all day long inbetween school.

Let us know if that helps!
    I noticed some improvement today after only doing the exercise for about five minutes without the band. I'll add it in on my off days with the band. Thanks!

Master cue. Very important. Do it.

Glad you noticed some improvement already.

Here is another video of the mob done without the band (the pad isn't needed) Posterior/Inferior Hip Capsule Mobilization - YouTube

Just remember to follow up the exercise with a few air squats just to start patterning a pain free squat.

As for the belt recomendation, my thinking had nothing to do with the weight on the bar and more to do with helping teach you how to create more tension. (helping you valsalva better)

Proximal stability = Distal mobility.

The more stable your mid section is the better your hips will do their job and the less pain you'll have hopefully.

I'm all for beltless squats but your core strength will relatively improve as you get stronger. Perhaps go beltless for your warmups and throw the belt on for your last warmup and worksets.

Either way keep us posted on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Master cue. Very important. Do it.
    This is what I came to say, too. After watching your first video, I was guessing that your second video would show forward bar travel, and it did. You can tell from the first video because you're getting onto your toes, and even with the heeled shoe, your heels are coming off the ground. I sometimes find that having a raised heel forces you to think more of your heels in order to stay midfoot, because it pitches you forward ever so slightly. So if the bar starts to get forward of midfoot, you spend the rest of the squat trying to recover it and get it back in line.

You don't need a belt right now, and you have no problem getting to depth so mobility is not the issue. Stay tight and keep the bar midfoot on the way down and up.

Update: Gym caught me in the act, so I have no video. (lucky they didn't kick me out.)

I'll be damned, The mobility exercise works! No pain at all! I also took everyone's advice of using the master cue and it seems to have worked. I feel like my back angle is a bit more vertical by a few degrees, but the force seems to be going through my whole foot, not just the balls.
    I also feel more of a stretch in the hamstrings. I know I don't have any proof, but it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Byeah985 View Post
    Update: Gym caught me in the act, so I have no video. (lucky they didn't kick me out.)

I'll be damned, The mobility exercise works! No pain at all! I also took everyone's advice of using the master cue and it seems to have worked. I feel like my back angle is a bit more vertical by a few degrees, but the force seems to be going through my whole foot, not just the balls.
    I also feel more of a stretch in the hamstrings. I know I don't have any proof, but it just feels right.
    Being able to sit into the capsule is going to allow you to take advantage of the stretch reflex.

Keep working on the drill as you get stronger. If you run into any other issues just let me know.

starting strength coach development program
    The toes are too wide. Bring them in 5-10*. Don't lift the chest, drive the hips up. Master cue is always a good cue.