starting strength gym

Thread: New to lifting, DL form check

Default New to lifting, DL form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Newbie here, trying to learn to correct my mistakes before they get too cemented in.

From just watching myself, I see I relax my upper back after I set the weight down, while a lot of vids I see, other lifters stay tight even between reps. I'll work on that.

Also, I see many with like a 45 degree back angle, with respect to the ground, while mine is closer to like 20 degrees. Is this a problem, or one of those things that's dependant on arm length, leg length, torso length, and relative humidity of the summers in your current residence?

Deadlift form work - YouTube

Yes, back angle depends on anthropometry. It also depends on distance from the bar. If the bar was over your toes, you could squat to it, but your lift would suffer. I know a lifter who shifts some fearsome weights whose dimensions are such that his back is horizontal at the start.

Your set up doesn't follow the exact SS model. It would probably help you.

Put feet under bar, you do that
    Bend down, keeping the legs straight, you don't do that. I've found that going from flexed back to extended helps me feel the extension more than trying to extend from the outset.

I think you could set your back in extension more.

Stance might be wider than you need, maybe.

I'm not sure that staying tight between reps is necessary. Just complete the rep, set up again and go

Back angle has mostly to do with distance from the vernal equinox, and then some anthropometry.
    In all seriousness...you're set up every rep on your toes. Turn your toes out, push your knees out, rock back to midfoot, then get squoze. You could do with squeezing up a bit tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Yes, back angle depends on anthropometry. It also depends on distance from the bar. If the bar was over your toes, you could squat to it, but your lift would suffer. I know a lifter who shifts some fearsome weights whose dimensions are such that his back is horizontal at the start.
    As soon as I asked that angle question, I see it answered everywhere, here, and in the book. I apologize. Part of it was me just not knowing what anthropometry meant, but now I know.

Your set up doesn't follow the exact SS model. It would probably help you.

Put feet under bar, you do that
    Bend down, keeping the legs straight, you don't do that. I've found that going from flexed back to extended helps me feel the extension more than trying to extend from the outset.

I think you could set your back in extension more.
    I'll reread again and try to go more by the book. I'm not sure I'm able to bend down while keeping my legs straight any more though. Last I tried, I get to a point where my hamstrings are too tight to bend straight legged any further, and must round my back to continue, or bend my knees to get down to the bar.

Thank you for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Back angle has mostly to do with distance from the vernal equinox, and then some anthropometry.
    In all seriousness...you're set up every rep on your toes. Turn your toes out, push your knees out, rock back to midfoot, then get squoze. You could do with squeezing up a bit tighter.
    Ah, thank you! Now that you point it out, I can see it clearly in the video, and even feel it in my muscle memory. Tomorrow, I'll work on your suggestion. I try to stay mid foot during the lift, but yeah, why not start mid foot too?!

Thanks!

Here's the short version of the handy, dandy deadlift setup procedure:

Deadlift starting Position Critique

Quote Originally Posted by whfilo View Post
    I'm not sure I'm able to bend down while keeping my legs straight any more though. Last I tried, I get to a point where my hamstrings are too tight to bend straight legged any further, and must round my back to continue, or bend my knees to get down to the bar.
    It's OK if you have to bend your knees a little to reach the bar and it's also OK that your back rounds while you're setting up. Not everyone can touch their toes with straight legs; I know I can't. What we don't want you to do is squat down to grab the bar. One of the guideposts for a proper set up is that your shins be located about an inch away from the bar when they are vertical. This will invariably put the bar over the mid-foot. One of the dangers of squatting to grab the bar, is that it angles the shins toward the bar and can put it way out over your toes.

As for your back, as long as you get it flat to pull, what's the harm?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by whfilo View Post
    As soon as I asked that angle question, I see it answered everywhere, here, and in the book. I apologize. Part of it was me just not knowing what anthropometry meant, but now I know.

I'll reread again and try to go more by the book. I'm not sure I'm able to bend down while keeping my legs straight any more though. Last I tried, I get to a point where my hamstrings are too tight to bend straight legged any further, and must round my back to continue, or bend my knees to get down to the bar.

Thank you for the feedback!
    As Satch said, you can round your back on the way down, then bring the shins to the bar, position hips until weight is over mid foot, inhale and try to fold yourself backwards until your shoulder blades touch your behind like a chinese gymnast. They won't, but it may feel like that.

And what everyone else said, because they spotted way more than I did.