starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right side developing more than the left

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi Brendon,

You just have to focus on your form and stop coming up on one side.
    If you don't have anyone reliable to watch you and give you instant feedback, you might try squatting in front of a mirror for a couple of session, to make sure you use the correct form. Once you get back to a symmetric action a couple of times, you can switch back to normal.

Hope this helps,

IPB
    I look look down in front of me while squatting, I learned this from Mark Rippetoe's squatting tutorial on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by brun0306 View Post
    have you measured if your legs are the same length? My right femur is longer than my left femur, which causes an imbalance in my squat. I had a session with a SS coach to work out this issue, but there is really only so much that can be done. I generally just try to think "more left" when i'm coming out of the hole and that fixes about 75% of the imbalance, but will likely never be completely even unless you do something like shim a shoe.

Also, you may have to slightly deload and work your way back up with the conscious effort to stay balanced on both sides.
    I don't think they're causing the problem even if it's true because in the beginning of my training up until 215 lbs or so it wasn't happening, or at least noticeable enough to catch mine or anyone else's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    You should be doing cleans if you're capable. With your stats, you should be capable.

Body weight for bench press is a low goal for a 20yo male of 180lbs. Eat more and go for double bodyweight. "Most muscle mass, over the longest effective ROM, to move the most weight"

You said you haven't increased your press in 2 months and stopped at bodyweight BP, so there are a few problems.

Commit to one or the other. You'll be happier. I vote for strength. Trying to do both as you are isn't going to be fruitful. Either squat 405x5 at 20% BF and announce your presence with authority on the ice or continue to stay sub-300 at 15% BF.

Make sure to read the sticky on filming. Please and thank you.
    Yeah, I'm just a little intimidated to do them and chose the easier route. As for bench press I know it's nothing impressive but I've come along way, I was 130 lbs and could only bench the barbell for 5 times before my left arm couldn't complete the rep. Anywho, I switched over to incline dumbbell press instead of flat barbell and I'm enjoying it even if it's not optimal. As far as not increasing my press for along time it was because when I hurt my lower back I didn't want to risk further injury because of my hemophilia. I'm still progressing +15lbs/week on the squat and +5/10 lbs on every other lift (slower on dumbbells). Also for the whole strength or aesthetics, I don't mean a fitness model type look I just meant I think strength and the muscle you build is aesthetic. I'll be in the gym tomorrow and I'm going to ask someone to film my squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Not sure if you have met with a SSC yet, but if you have the chance I would, or post a few vids of you squatting for the coaches on here to see. I don't know about doing "another version" of the program either, the "original" program is simple enough and good enough to get you plenty strong.
    I live in the Kootenays in Canada, it's not that big, I really doubt there's ssc here but I could be wrong. Also I only switched flat bench for incline dumbbell and cleans for rows.

Another thought I had was since my right trap is significantly bigger than the left in height and overall thickness, I was thinking maybe it's causing problems during the squat because my traps aren't even and it's making the bar asymmetrical?

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    I live in the Kootenays in Canada
    OT:
    I've been there, it's a truly beautiful place.
    /OT

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    Yeah, I'm just a little intimidated to do them and chose the easier route. As for bench press I know it's nothing impressive but I've come along way, I was 130 lbs and could only bench the barbell for 5 times before my left arm couldn't complete the rep. Anywho, I switched over to incline dumbbell press instead of flat barbell and I'm enjoying it even if it's not optimal. As far as not increasing my press for along time it was because when I hurt my lower back I didn't want to risk further injury because of my hemophilia. I'm still progressing +15lbs/week on the squat and +5/10 lbs on every other lift (slower on dumbbells). Also for the whole strength or aesthetics, I don't mean a fitness model type look I just meant I think strength and the muscle you build is aesthetic. I'll be in the gym tomorrow and I'm going to ask someone to film my squats.
    Gotcha. I'm still not clear on the effect hemophilia has on training, except I know injuries take longer to come back from. If I were you, I'd search around for training info on hemophilia.
    Good for you on adding 50lbs of body weight! I just want to be clear and help manage your expectations, because we have people that think they can do the program without gaining any fat. Rip's been clear about this in the book and other articles, that you will gain some fat with the muscle.
    If your right trap is bigger than your left, is your left lat bigger than your right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Gotcha. I'm still not clear on the effect hemophilia has on training, except I know injuries take longer to come back from. If I were you, I'd search around for training info on hemophilia.
    Good for you on adding 50lbs of body weight! I just want to be clear and help manage your expectations, because we have people that think they can do the program without gaining any fat. Rip's been clear about this in the book and other articles, that you will gain some fat with the muscle.
    If your right trap is bigger than your left, is your left lat bigger than your right?
    I would say my lats look pretty even actually. For a little while my right lat appeared bigger than my left but I think that's just because I wasn't flaring my lats properly and I've always been able to pick up "flexing" muscles on the right much easier than the left. I understand that I'll stall and I won't get the most out of the program and I'm completely okay with that, I'm much happier with how I look and how strong I am now. Plus having hemophilia I want to take it slow and hope to never get injured. As far as reading about training and hemophilia I can't find a whole lot on the subject except other people talking about their own experiences and stuff, my doctor advises me to work out because hemophilia is linked to arthritis.

While squatting today I only worked up to 50% of my regular working sets (250 lbs) and really focused on not leaning towards the right while coming out of the hole and it helped dramatically, nearly every single rep I did not lean, although I had to take a wider stance that normal which felt a little uncomfortable. I noticed was that I have anterior pelvic tilt as a result I'm hyperextending my lower back which would explain my lower back being unusually sore after squatting. I did not mention this in the original post but when I reached around the same weight, 215 lbs for sets my lower back become uncomfortably fatigued but at lower weights even just a couple pounds lighter it wasn't sore whatsoever.

starting strength coach development program
    So, with hyper extension of the lumbar and sacrum area... set your isometric contraction of your spinal erectors (squeeze the piss out of them, on purpose, BEFORE you lift and DON'T STOP).

for leaning to one side or another on the ascent, whichever side you're sliding towards... shove that knee out harder. Boom. Centered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast