starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right side developing more than the left

Default Right side developing more than the left

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I've been on another version of starting strength for roughly 3 months now I've developed some right side muscle imbalances that weren't present when I first started the program. I've noticed that my right trap, all three heads of the delt and quad are significantly bigger than my left and it's noticeable by others as well. When pressing or deadlifting I'm not lifting with one side more than the other but it just seems that one side is out pacing the other. I'm also having trouble with my squat technique because ever since I hit around 215 lbs for 3x5 I've noticed I tend to lean to the right coming out of the hole and it's become so bad that even appears to happen with the no weight on the bar as well. I've watched some posture dysfunction videos on youtube and have much better posture (I work a desk job) and it has helped quite a bit actually but it's still there. I work out alone and I don't think I can provide any videos unless I can convince someone at the gym to record with my phone. Anyways here's some info. I'm not doing the traditional SS. I'm 20, 5'10, 180 lbs 15% BF. I'd also like to say that there is a strength and conditioning coach at my gym and I asked him about my form while squatting and deadlifting and the only comment he had that I was upright even though I'm low bar squatting which I can understand can be problematic since it's not over the mid foot? I think that may be a flexibility issue. Sorry for the wall of text.
    Squat 3x5x250 this is actually below paralell
    Incline DB Bench 3x5x70 (I hit a bodyweight bench press and got bored of flat)
    Row: 3x5x135
    Deadlift: 1x5x280 (I hit 350+ but hurt my lower back playing hockey, I have hemophilia)
    Press: 3x5x115 (I haven't tried to increase this in about 2 months)

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    Hi, I've been on another version of starting strength for roughly 3 months now I've developed some right side muscle imbalances that weren't present when I first started the program. I've noticed that my right trap, all three heads of the delt and quad are significantly bigger than my left and it's noticeable by others as well. When pressing or deadlifting I'm not lifting with one side more than the other but it just seems that one side is out pacing the other.
    What "other version of Starting Strength" are you referring to? Are the imbalances a concern of function or aesthetics?

I'm also having trouble with my squat technique because ever since I hit around 215 lbs for 3x5 I've noticed I tend to lean to the right coming out of the hole and it's become so bad that even appears to happen with the no weight on the bar as well. I've watched some posture dysfunction videos on youtube and have much better posture (I work a desk job) and it has helped quite a bit actually but it's still there. I work out alone and I don't think I can provide any videos unless I can convince someone at the gym to record with my phone.
    Send a video

Anyways here's some info. I'm not doing the traditional SS. I'm 20, 5'10, 180 lbs 15% BF. I'd also like to say that there is a strength and conditioning coach at my gym and I asked him about my form while squatting and deadlifting and the only comment he had that I was upright even though I'm low bar squatting which I can understand can be problematic since it's not over the mid foot? I think that may be a flexibility issue. Sorry for the wall of text.
    Please eat more.

Squat 3x5x250 this is actually below paralell
    Incline DB Bench 3x5x70 (I hit a bodyweight bench press and got bored of flat)
    Row: 3x5x135
    Deadlift: 1x5x280 (I hit 350+ but hurt my lower back playing hockey, I have hemophilia)
    Press: 3x5x115 (I haven't tried to increase this in about 2 months)
    I have little to no info on training with hemophilia. You could search the other parts of the forum to see what the effect has been.

All that said, if you're lifting for aesthetics, you're on the wrong program. If you're looking to get stronger, do the program as explained in the book.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 11-30-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

The other version is made by other people includes bent over barbell rows instead of power cleans, after getting a body weight bench press I decided to switch to dumbbells for fun. I'm still making linear progress week to week without eating more so I'll bump it up once I fail a session, so far no problems. I'm training for both strength and aesthetics. But yeah the imbalance isn't only visual unless my right quad isn't the culprit for leaning to the right coming out of the hole. I will ask if someone can film my next session but do you know of any reason that could be causing it like maybe a tight hip flexor or poor mobility?

Without getting into the pertinent issues Pete addressed, do you deadlift with a mixed grip? Left hand supinated?

I use a hook grip, never mixed. My pull looks very even, my issue seems to be noticeable by myself and others when squatting.
    Last edited by Brendon; 11-30-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Hi Brendon,

I'm also having trouble with my squat technique because ever since I hit around 215 lbs for 3x5 I've noticed I tend to lean to the right coming out of the hole and it's become so bad that even appears to happen with the no weight on the bar as well.
    You just have to focus on your form and stop coming up on one side.
    If you don't have anyone reliable to watch you and give you instant feedback, you might try squatting in front of a mirror for a couple of session, to make sure you use the correct form. Once you get back to a symmetric action a couple of times, you can switch back to normal.

Hope this helps,

IPB

have you measured if your legs are the same length? My right femur is longer than my left femur, which causes an imbalance in my squat. I had a session with a SS coach to work out this issue, but there is really only so much that can be done. I generally just try to think "more left" when i'm coming out of the hole and that fixes about 75% of the imbalance, but will likely never be completely even unless you do something like shim a shoe.

Also, you may have to slightly deload and work your way back up with the conscious effort to stay balanced on both sides.

The other version is made by other people includes bent over barbell rows instead of power cleans,
    You should be doing cleans if you're capable. With your stats, you should be capable.

after getting a body weight bench press I decided to switch to dumbbells for fun.
    Body weight for bench press is a low goal for a 20yo male of 180lbs. Eat more and go for double bodyweight. "Most muscle mass, over the longest effective ROM, to move the most weight"

I'm still making linear progress week to week without eating more so I'll bump it up once I fail a session, so far no problems.
    You said you haven't increased your press in 2 months and stopped at bodyweight BP, so there are a few problems.

I'm training for both strength and aesthetics.
    Commit to one or the other. You'll be happier. I vote for strength. Trying to do both as you are isn't going to be fruitful. Either squat 405x5 at 20% BF and announce your presence with authority on the ice or continue to stay sub-300 at 15% BF.

But yeah the imbalance isn't only visual unless my right quad isn't the culprit for leaning to the right coming out of the hole. I will ask if someone can film my next session but do you know of any reason that could be causing it like maybe a tight hip flexor or poor mobility?
    Make sure to read the sticky on filming. Please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Without getting into the pertinent issues Pete addressed, do you deadlift with a mixed grip? Left hand supinated?
    Great point! I hadn't even thought of that.

starting strength coach development program
    Not sure if you have met with a SSC yet, but if you have the chance I would, or post a few vids of you squatting for the coaches on here to see. I don't know about doing "another version" of the program either, the "original" program is simple enough and good enough to get you plenty strong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast