starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check: Squat & Deadlift

Question Form Check: Squat & Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everybody, I'm doing the novice program for SS and was hoping some of you could critique my squat and deadlift form. The squat video is from my third workset today at 260 lbs. The deadlift video is my only workset at 295 lbs.

Any tips for improvement would be much appreciated, thanks!

Squat: squat - YouTube
    Deadlift: deadlift - YouTube

-Patrick

Squats: Looks like a death trap of a stand setup. Those foot supports look like a trip hazard. What the hell was the step coming out of the rack? Your squats are mostly high. Your face is pointed in the wrong direction. You have a lot of knee slide. Shove your knees out, push your hips back, keep your face down.

Deadlifts: You currently have the bar too far forward. Get it over midfoot. Do not squat down to grab the bar. Bend over with straight legs and take your grip. Bring your shins to the bar from straight legs. Squeeze your chest up. Squeeze until it feels like your face is going to explode.

I think you need to reread the squat chapter. blugold hit every point. Your knees are too forward, your heels come off the ground since your are so upright. You need to shove them out as well. I would look into TUBOWing too after a thorough reread of the chapter and maybe watching the "platform" videos on the Youtube page.
    Squat with your hips. Push them all the way back. And get tight before unracking.

Yes Joe, I'm still calling you that
    Last edited by bhara; 12-08-2016 at 10:22 AM.

You're on your toes for almost every squat, and there isn't a lot of hip drive with these. Get off your toes, pick a spot on the floor 3-5ft in front of you and don't move your eyes. More hip drive out of the hole.
    JoeJ called it already for the DL. You're setting up too forward and start on your toes. You can see where the plates start on the floor compared to where you finish at the top. And as he said, you don't really get your back squoze tight. Chest toward the wall in front of you, pull all the slack out of the bar, then break it off the ground.

Question Squat 2.0 - made adjustments

Hey Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I lightened up the weight to 225 and tried to dial in my technique. Would appreciate your comments on this latest video:
    Squat 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by forumsquatter View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm doing the novice program for SS and was hoping some of you could critique my squat and deadlift form. The squat video is from my third workset today at 260 lbs. The deadlift video is my only workset at 295 lbs.

Any tips for improvement would be much appreciated, thanks!

Squat: squat - YouTube
    Deadlift: deadlift - YouTube

-Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by forumsquatter View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I lightened up the weight to 225 and tried to dial in my technique. Would appreciate your comments on this latest video:
    Squat 2.0
    What I see:

1. You're breaking at your hips first, then knees. Both have to go at the same time.

2. Your knees are moving through the entire rep. You have to shove your knees out, set them there, and keep them there. Finish the rep to depth by sitting back with your hips.

3. You're descending more slowly than's worth it, thus you're killing any bounce out of the bottom. Do work to stay tight all the way through, but don't take forever getting down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    2. Your knees are moving through the entire rep. You have to shove your knees out, set them there, and keep them there. Finish the rep to depth by sitting back with your hips.
    This. TUBOW if you can't do this of your own volition. You are still trying to squat upright (for reference in the book).
    Your form looks nearly identical to the first video. Your heels came up at 33s. Your back angle needs to change very very noticeably to a more horizontal one.
    Sit ALL the way BACK with your HIPS. You may need to take more weight off and that's fine.
    Last edited by bhara; 12-09-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Arrow Squat V3.0

Ok, on this set I tried widening my stance slightly, knees out earlier, and hips back. It looks to me like I am losing lumbar curve at the bottom but not sure how to correct that without sacrificing depth. Also, not sure if my back angle is horizontal enough or needs to be more so.

Here it is, thanks all in advance for any feedback: Low Bar Back Squat - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Lean over more, immediately as you start the descent. Lead with your hips out of the bottom, not your chest. Work on keeping the bar over your midfoot; visualize the bar in a a vertical slot over your midfoot. I noticed in a comment above Pete pointed out you are on your toes on most reps. That issue remains in this set. Why is that rack height set so low? The bar should be around sternum height in the rack, looks like it's at your stomach.