starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I failed my last two of three workouts, partially due to lack of sleep and work stress, definitely eating enough food though (stress-eating on an LP FTW?). I can't imagine some of this isn't also form issues. so I submit:

a set of five from last week

I know my form isn't perfect (at all), but is this hip drive? As a 210 pound dude in his mid 30's I can't imagine that my LP squat ends at 235, although if I never sleep...

I'm considering a deload, as my workout failure rate is probably training me to expect failure. I may reduce to 80% to build back some confidence and get a break, or I might do the ole' light squat wednesdays bit.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by augeleven; 12-08-2016 at 08:09 AM. Reason: syntax, mostly

I think there are some from issues, but you should rerecord a set of five from the proper angle and wipe the Vaseline off of the camera lens.

{"your mom" Vaseline joke redacted} Not sure what was up with the lens, I think moisture build up in the case? Won't happen again

Regarding the angle: I thought rear 45 angle was preferred? The room is super tight and weird, with the furnace blocking a lot of angles. What could make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by augeleven View Post
    {"your mom" Vaseline joke redacted} Not sure what was up with the lens, I think moisture build up in the case? Won't happen again

Regarding the angle: I thought rear 45 angle was preferred? The room is super tight and weird, with the furnace blocking a lot of angles. What could make it better.
    Hip height. Rear 45° angle.

Thanks for your help in regards to the camera placement. I think I can lower it without the furnace blocking the shot, but I thought the angle WAS set at a rear 45° angle. So I can correct for next time, what angle does that look like to you?

Thanks again for your time

1) Don't pause at the bottom of each rep. 2) You are holding your knees back/setting them in place too soon. Let them get more over your toes before setting them in place. I think Joe wants the camera at hip height so depth can be evaluated.

Cool, thanks. I try not to pause and bounce out, but the weight is kind of stopping me. Maybe this could be remedied by focusing on a quicker bounce in the warm up sets?
    As to me holding my knees back, this could be leading to instability, right? Does knees back kill hip drive?

It makes your squat more "goodmorning-y" than it needs to be. It leaves the quads out of the movement and may even be causing balance issues (causing the COM to be on the heels of the lifter).
    Dave wants your back angle to be a bit more upright/vertical in the hole.

EDIT: After watching the video, I agree with Dave and also think you need more hip drive. As Coach would say, "Stay in the hips" for longer. You lift your chest after the bounce out of the hole. Also, finish standing up. And get tighter under the bar, especially around the thoracic region (Coach Rip's video about bar placement).
    Last edited by bhara; 12-08-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks for all these helpful insights. Can't wait to implement them. Do you all think these are things to tweak at my current work weight, or should I drop some weight? I don't like the idea of a deload if I don't have to do it. But things have been awful crappy in Squatzville lately.

starting strength coach development program
    Fix your form. Work up to whatever weight it is you can do with good form. Post the workset here. Go from there. I would just focus on
    -TUBOWing or thinking about knees more forward/back angle a bit more upright (see video by Noah on the official YouTube page about TUBOW, though in your case the purpose is using your quads more, so your cue will be to make sure you touch it every time for almost the entire rep),
    -staying in the hips all the way through and
    -fixing the bar placement (also on Rip's YouTube)
    Last edited by bhara; 12-08-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast