starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Squat/Press/Deadlift

Thumbs up Form Check - Squat/Press/Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. I'm 30 years of age, 5'8" and weighing in at 155lb.

12/6

Squat 3x5 150lb

Set 1 - VID_20161207_174957~2.mp4 - Google Drive

Set 2 - VID_20161207_175714~2.mp4 - Google Drive

Set 3 - VID_20161207_180357~2.mp4 - Google Drive

I lost my balance in the middle of the third set; felt myself falling back. This has never happened to me before.

Press 3x5 75lb

Set 2 - VID_20161207_181813~2.mp4 - Google Drive

Set 3 - VID_20161207_182316~2.mp4 - Google Drive

I think the bar is moving too far forward on the descent.

Deadlift 1x5 185

Set 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...GZQLXRPNUVKRTQ

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Squat: You are not hitting depth. I think it is due to a too narrow stance. Move your heels out, to just under your shoulders. Turn your toes in some, you have exaggerated the toes out cue (yours look 45 degrees, not the recommended 30 degrees). Lean your torso over immediately as you start your descent.

Press: Get your wrists straight (about 10 degrees bend is OK), yours are quite bent for most of your set. Don't push your head forward and down as you are driving the bar up. Shrug hard at the top of each rep, like you are trying to drive the bar through the ceiling.

DL: Go read the sticky at the top of this sub where I posted a link to Rip's 5 steps for the DL. You are pushing the bar around with your shins during your setup, which is putting the bar too far in front of your midfoot and causing you to drop your hips for that first rep. Stop looking in the mirror. Squeeze your chest up harder (see step 4).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Squat: You are not hitting depth. I think it is due to a too narrow stance. Move your heels out, to just under your shoulders. Turn your toes in some, you have exaggerated the toes out cue (yours look 45 degrees, not the recommended 30 degrees). Lean your torso over immediately as you start your descent.
    My toes are always out more, even when I walk. I will work to get them at 30 degrees.

Press: Get your wrists straight (about 10 degrees bend is OK), yours are quite bent for most of your set. Don't push your head forward and down as you are driving the bar up. Shrug hard at the top of each rep, like you are trying to drive the bar through the ceiling.
    I've had that told to me before. I always think of it, but lose it as I do the lift. I will focus on that.

DL: Go read the sticky at the top of this sub where I posted a link to Rip's 5 steps for the DL. You are pushing the bar around with your shins during your setup, which is putting the bar too far in front of your midfoot and causing you to drop your hips for that first rep. Stop looking in the mirror. Squeeze your chest up harder (see step 4).
    I look in the mirror because I'm not confident that my back is straight. Bad habit. I will definitely check the sticky out.

Thank you very much for your feedback. :-)

How long have you been lifting?