starting strength gym

Thread: Bench technique for competitive power lifters in training

Default Bench technique for competitive power lifters in training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm coaching a team that is going to be competing in a powerlifting meet this March. We've been debating as to whether or not they should be pausing at the bottom of the rep as they will have to in competition or if they should be using a touch and go method that will allow them to do more weight and get stronger. Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They should be pausing. I'll let Izzy explain:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    The majority of your volume for a competition lift should not be coming from a variation of that competition lift, IMO. TnG Bench uses more weight, sure, but so does slingshot bench. The force curves aren't the same. Generally speaking, TnG emphasizes mid-range while paused work is hardest right off the chest or thereabouts. The bounce helps you through that part quite a bit. I don't see anyone recommending strict TnG deadlifts around here and the logic is virtually the same.

So, yes, I'd recommend doing volume day paused especially because there is very little volume in TM in general. ~90% of pressing volume coming from a bench variation and overhead press is not how I'd program if my goal was truly to pause bench the most weight possible. If you're trying to juggle the SS philosophy alongside powerlifting then it gets murky.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1392831

Bench how you will bench in comp, deadlift how you will deadlift in comp, and squat like you will squat in comp. Trust me if you don't get them use to that pause at the bottom now, then in the meet that pause will feel like a lifetime to them.

Or you could train TnG primarily, then switch to paused/comp about 4-6 weeks out from the comp. That's what my coach has me do.

Practice the hold at the top too, if there is a start command.
    I squat competition style too, with commands in my head , It's good to have those habits before you get nervous at a meet.