starting strength gym

Thread: Shouldn't we be more POWERFUL with knees IN during the CONCENTRIC part of the squat?

Default Shouldn't we be more POWERFUL with knees IN during the CONCENTRIC part of the squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok we've all read the book. I have 3 books of Mr Ripptoe in my Kindle bought via amazon. Great books! SS, PP and MOMG.

We know that the knees should be out relative to the pelvis AND to the toes (a.k.a we should have them aligned).

But here is the deal -- since we are stretching the adductors.. and they are in even better position than hamstrings to help from the bottom of the squat... and are DEFINITELY more reliable and powerful hip-extension supporters than the glute medius.. Why don't we allow our knees to cave a little INWARDS during the CONCENTRIC part of the movement?

Looking closely the body actually wants to rotate inwards the hips always at the bottom... Question is -- should we allow it, or do we keep shoving them out during the concentric part and Why?

Thank you!

My understanding of the issues is this:

The adductor originates at the hip (gluteal tuberosity) and inserts on the medial side of the femur and is therefore responsible for hip extension and thigh adduction. In order for the lifter to take advantage of the adductor's roll as a hip extensor during the ascent of the squat, the knees must stay out to act as an anchors for the adductors' contractile force to extend the hip (useful) vice adducting the knees (not useful, actually counterproductive). Not to mention the hip impingement issues that arise when the knees to collapse inward.

Knees go and stay out!

Ok so you're saying that in ORDER for the Adductors to support the extension action during this ascending of the squat.. the knees have to stay anchored out?

Slackened muscles don't contact as hard as tensed muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitizaro View Post
    Ok so you're saying that in ORDER for the Adductors to support the extension action during this ascending of the squat.. the knees have to stay anchored out?
    Correct. "Knees out" also gives the hip's external rotators a task, involving more muscle mass in the lift.

starting strength coach development program
    I got it all. Thanks to everyone!