starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift stalling, bad technique vs proportions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok! I will post a new video with heavier weight ASAP. But i am wondering about something something on a general level. I notice that when I follow rippetoes setup strictly, my back is horizontal or even slightly tilted down. I also find it very difficult to get the lumbar column extended in this position. Furthermore, I have measured my wing span which is slightly lower, but almost equal to my height (0.99), which is clonse to normal. In comparison, my legs are relatively long with a legs height ratio of 0.52 (compared to average (0.45-48). Wouldnt my normal arms and long legs make me kind of t-rex proportioned, which would make me more inclined for sumo? I am asking because i have been experimenting with it this week for the first time, and find that I can already lift 5 kg more for 5 reps than with conventional.
    Last edited by Bellybob; 12-20-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Error

I can't see your grip because of the plates but I'll bet you're using a double overhand grip.

Stop doing that. Use a mixed grip and watch your deadlift numbers soar.

I thought i had read rippetoe recommending double overhanf grip for as long as you could manage. My grip strength is fair from previous sport training. I close the CoC 2,5 for those familiar grippers. Here is a new video with heavier weight. I got a bad camera angle, but i did not have the energy for another set. Perhaps it can show something worth critique?

DlHVfssf - YouTube
    Last edited by Bellybob; 12-21-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

On a side note: do you all think I should change programming to Texas method, or go to advanced novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellybob View Post
    I thought i had read rippetoe recommending double overhanf grip for as long as you could manage.
    Sure, but you have reached that point.

Note that my best double overhand DL isn't that much higher than yours but a hook grip adds nearly 50kg and a mixed grip another 50.

Don't let your grip hold back your deadlift.

I thought i had read rippetoe recommending double overhanf grip for as long as you could manage. My grip strength is fair from previous sport training. I close the CoC 2,5 for those familiar grippers. Here is a new video with heavier weight. I got a bad camera angle, but i did not have the energy for another set. Perhaps it can show something worth critique?

DlHVfssf - YouTube
    Stop squatting down to grab the bar. Bend over from the waist and go to the bar with straight legs. You still are not setting your back. Squeeze your chest up. Hard. So hard that it feels like your face is going to explode.

On a side note: do you all think I should change programming to Texas method, or go to advanced novice?
    No. You do not need Texas Method. You need to do the program as written and eat all of the food.

starting strength coach development program
    In addition to JoeJ's comments, it doesn't look like you are standing up fully / finishing your rep. There appears to be a slight knee bend.

Greg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123