starting strength gym

Thread: I think I need to lower my safeties (squat)

Default I think I need to lower my safeties (squat)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    20161216 180252 001 - YouTube **there's music in the background

the 5th rep of my third set (330# weighted barbell) went straight to the bars.

I haven't been going nearly this low, but is this how low I should be going?

Here's a link to today's log entry FacePalm's Log

I think you could go a hair deeper (that photo is your second rep, and they were all kinda high). You'll have to lower your pins/safeties. Your 5th rep it looks like you relaxed at the bottom and dropped straight to the pins!
    Last edited by marcf; 12-16-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post

I think you could go a hair deeper (that photo is your second rep, and they were all kinda high). You'll have to lower your pins/safeties. Your 5th rep it looks like you relaxed at the bottom and dropped straight to the pins!
    I was surprised when I hit the pins for sure - completely unexpected, I think I was just going for more depth.

How's my stance width & toes-out angle seem?

20161216 174501 001 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by FacePalm View Post
    I was surprised when I hit the pins for sure - completely unexpected, I think I was just going for more depth.

How's my stance width & toes-out angle seem?

20161216 174501 001 - YouTube
    Stance width is good, maybe a hair wider but no narrower. Point your toes out more, 30 degrees out.

Now for the hard part, your femurs have to track your feet. Femurs parallel to feet. The only way you can do this is be thinking about ACTIVELY shoving your knees OUT!

This will get your femurs out of the way of your hips, and it will allow you to get deeper. You may have to lower the weight in order to achieve depth with this new form.

Keep working!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 12-17-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: changed "track your knee" to "track your feet"

Thanks Adam, I appreciate it.