starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to swap side: Power Clean form check please?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    gonna sound weird, but if you could throw your bar/plates in your truck/car somehow
    . . . . and go lift in a park or something
    . . . push the envelope for a week or two, at least on the quick lifts from the floor.

(Squat and press at home with the stands)

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    gonna sound weird, but if you could throw your bar/plates in your truck/car somehow . . . and go lift in a park or something
    I was about to write that I can't do that because there is no way to get my platform in the car; that would have been a no.
    Then I thought that maybe I could find a place with a smooth cement surface, flat enough to try; that would have been a yes.
    Then I thought again that dropping the bar on a hard surface like cement would probably do my bumpers no favour, and maybe could have some effect on the bar too; that would have been a no again.

Then I thought that even if I manage to do that, I would probably be filmed by some random passer-by and then get splashed on the front page of the local newspaper: that's a definite no-no.
    But then I thought, I could use that as advertising to setup a coaching business; that could be a yes.
    Then again, I would not be allowed to coach clients at home anyway because of local regulations and insurance issues; that would be a no.

Bottom line: I will actually try, as time and serendipity allows, to find a suitable outdoor spot to do my open-air Olys, just for the sheer weirdness and absurdity. Having said that, should I find anything, I cannot guarantee though that I will have the balls to follow through.

IPB

PS
    I think it was Hsilman that once told me I was retarded because I lift on a balcony. Imagine his reaction if he saw me lifting in a park.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I
    Then I thought again that dropping the bar on a hard surface like cement would probably do my bumpers no favour, and maybe could have some effect on the bar too; that would have been a no again.

Bottom line: I will actually try, as time and serendipity allows, to find a suitable outdoor spot to do my open-air Olys, just for the sheer weirdness and absurdity. Having said that, should I find anything, I cannot guarantee though that I will have the balls to follow through.

I think it was Hsilman that once told me I was retarded because I lift on a balcony. Imagine his reaction if he saw me lifting in a park.
    If the concrete is smooth, dropping bumpers on it isn't a problem. You could always just bring some rubber mats to protect the surface of the plates. They will be just fine.

There was some xfit gym in NY that got started by a guy who was lifting in a park. I can't recall the name. The guy used to lug all his gear to the park.

Probably the worst thing about lifting in a park, other than having to lug your shit around, is that people will think you are a show off or a nutter. Solution: Wear a cato mask. . . . Public shame is not as bad as dumping a failed snatch off the balcony.

[mbasic goes dick mode]

it didn't stop this guy . . .

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    it didn't stop this guy . . .
    Just look at his hips. Just look how low they are before he starts pulling; that's definitely not in The Model. Who does he think he is, some sort of gold medalist show off?

IPB

PS
    Note that even he lifts over a wooden plank, not a concrete slab. There is just too much friction over concrete for Oly lifts.

PPS
    Oh well, I suppose someone is going to suggest I bring a small platform; and two little planks for the bumpers. And the Mats. And the rack too, for those jerks. And a camera to immortalise the faces of those filming me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12