starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted chins, forearm pain

Default Weighted chins, forearm pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Recently, when I do weighted chins, it starts hurting on the inside edge of my forearm, just below the crease of the elbow. It stops hurting almost immediately after chinning. I'm concerned that I'm hurting the tendons. Bodyweight chins don't cause any issues.

Should I worry? Do something different? Ignore the issue? Provide more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    just below the crease of the elbow.
    You mean the apex, or the vertex of the crease?

:-)

Sorry, could not resist.
    And now, for something more useful, hopefully.
    Have you tried moving a bit the position of your belt, or even lengthening / shortening it to have the weight further away / closer from you (which should change the position of your torso relative to the bar / forearms, and therefore put it where maybe your elbow won't hurt that much)?

IPB

:-)

I'll try that. When I used smaller plates I used the center hole, but now that I'm using a 45 pound plate, I'm using a hole near the edge, so the weight is heavier, bigger and further away. I'm not sure if the issue started before or after moving up to a 45 pound plate, but it's quite possible. These are metal plates in various sizes.

Another possibility is that with heavier weights I need more grip effort and gripping involves forearm muscles. I tried a lat pulldown yesterday, which didn't hurt, so either this is not the best explanation or one set of pulldowns doesn't prove anything. In any event, I don't know if there's anything I can do about this. Straps seem inappropriate.