starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys haven't posted in a while ,
    Trying to make a comeback after 1.5 year layoff.
    Fucked up my lower left back a couple of weeks ago
    squatting to deep I think... hence the oh fuck at the end of this video ( pain!!!) , any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you

https://youtu.be/22cPpUHxVL0
    Last edited by rimack; 12-23-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Trying to create a goddamn link

Video is unavailable for me.

Thanks rj, not sure why it's not working for you.
    Ironically I saw your 3rd set at 315 post last night.
    Looks good .... I hope to return to those numbers soon

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's not working for me either. Just tried and it's still not. If there's music playing in the background of the video, youtube could be trying to filter that out which could explain the delay (presumably you could see it if you're still signed into your Google / youtube account). Guess it depends on if I'm the only one it doesn't work for.

Thanks. Working back up to a weight you've done can be ... frustrating, haha.

Video just became available to me.

For what it's worth, I don't think any of these are entirely too deep. You certainly get depth on them from what I can see, but it's not like you're 2 or 3 inches below where you need to be. If I had to put a number on them, maybe somewhere between half an inch to an inch or so too deep.

I think your back pain might be due to the fact that you descended a lot faster on the fifth rep than on the other reps, so you probably weren't generally tight enough. I've hurt my back more than a couple times squatting, and it always comes down to 'got loose and went too fast.'

Another thing you might want to pay attention to are your knees. Looks like they're continuously moving throughout the rep. Ideally, you want them to get to where there going to go (maybe about an inch in front of your toes) about 1/3 - 1/2 the way down and then keep them fixed while you move your ass down and then back up on the ascent. On the way up, note that your knees are coming back and then that makes your ass shift back, which is also making these harder than they need to be. A cue to help with this is the terribly useful block of wood, which you can see demonstrated here How to use the TUBOW

The good news is that you weren't grinding any of these out (in fact, they looked good and fast), so form corrections should be easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I did notice my knees moving around a bit when I was reviewing video ,