starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Power Clean is not right

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for all the comments everyone, I will get a piece of wood to power clean off.

Here are two power clean videos from a ~45 degree angle
    Total of 5 sets of 3 reps at 80kg.

3x80kg set 1/5
    Power Clean 3x80kg set 1/5 - YouTube

3x80kg set 5/5
    Power clean 3x80kg set 5/5 - YouTube

Hope you can see it better from this angle.

Hard to see with the black clothes and blackish background . . .

You are just pulling up with the arms at the triple extension point. Actively up-right-rowing-it. Don't do that.

Also, maybe stop with that way you grip the bar at the very last second and jerk it off the ground with the momentum of your body.
    Take your grip, and quickly squeeze it off the ground, don't jerk it . . . ouch.

Otherwise, these look OK to me.

Don't be afraid to spread your feet a little when you jump and land in the catch position.
    You're going to have to come down a little to meet the bar, instead of rowing up.

Forget what I said about the board/wood. That ground looks pretty flat, and hard as a rock.
    Last edited by MBasic; 02-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Hard to see with the black clothes and blackish background . . .

You are just pulling up with the arms at the triple extension point. Actively up-right-rowing-it. Don't do that.

Also, maybe stop with that way you grip the bar at the very last second and jerk it off the ground with the momentum of your body.
    Take your grip, and quickly squeeze it off the ground, don't jerk it . . . ouch.

Otherwise, these look OK to me.

Don't be afraid to spread your feet a little when you jump and land in the catch position.
    You're going to have to come down a little to meet the bar, instead of rowing up.

Forget what I said about the board/wood. That ground looks pretty flat, and hard as a rock.
    Thanks for your input and fast response, I will try to put it in my head not to pull the bar at trip extension point.
    I don't fully understand what you mean about squeezing it off the floor instead of jerking it.

about the wooden board, the ground is pretty solid espeically in the winter when it's frozen.
    I was also wondering about the reduce in the range of motion if you only stand on a wooden board with the weights resting on the ground, it should shaves a couple of cm off the rom.
    Last edited by Tom84631; 02-17-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Tom84631 View Post
    I don't fully understand what you mean about squeezing it off the floor instead of jerking it.
    You sort of get into the starting posisiton, with only your finger tips touching the bar.
    And then in one motion, you fully grab and bar jerk upwards. Some reps worse than others.
    I think that's going to get worse over time, and perhaps cause an injury of some sort.

Get into posisiton with straight arms AND full grip on the bar, get tight, AND THEN smoothly (but quickly) pull it off the floor.

about the wooden board, the ground is pretty solid espeically in the winter when it's frozen.
    I was also wondering about the reduce in the range of motion if you only stand on a wooden board with the weights resting on the ground, it should shaves a couple of cm off the rom.
    Yeah, I understand.
    Too, like the Steiner video, if you keep dropping the plates in the same spot over and over again, they will probably starting sinking into the ground.
    Then your pulling from I deficit. (plates are lower).

see how you dip down . . look at the stripe on your shirt compared to the window frame.
    (from the set 5 video right at 0:06 )

I know Kendrick Farris does this, and some others . . . but I would not recommend for a beginner (or anyone really).

You sort of get into the starting posisiton, with only your finger tips touching the bar.
    And then in one motion, you fully grab and bar jerk upwards. Some reps worse than others.
    I think that's going to get worse over time, and perhaps cause an injury of some sort.

Get into posisiton with straight arms AND full grip on the bar, get tight, AND THEN smoothly (but quickly) pull it off the floor.

Yeah, I understand.
    Too, like the Steiner video, if you keep dropping the plates in the same spot over and over again, they will probably starting sinking into the ground.
    Then your pulling from I deficit. (plates are lower).

Ahhh I understand what you mean now about jerking it off the floor.

He also uses oly shoes maby you sink in the ground more easily because of the raised heel don't know though
    alright thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    see how you dip down . . look at the stripe on your shirt compared to the window frame.
    (from the set 5 video right at 0:06 )

I know Kendrick Farris does this, and some others . . . but I would not recommend for a beginner (or anyone really).

I think I did that because the bar was still hanging in my fingers in the first frame , at the second frame you can see that I fully grab the bar and I think I lower my self a bit to get in a more comfortable posistion to pull.
    nice editting skills .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12