starting strength gym

Thread: Help me fix my squat!

Default Help me fix my squat!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi! I just recently switched to low bar squatting because my high bar was so horrible and I felt weak throughout the lift. Low bar feels better, until I recorded from the back and noticed my knees slightly caving and my heels rising when coming up from the hole.

Tried multiple stance widths with just the bar and it was still happening.

Would i maybe benefit from the stability of a proper weightlifting shoe rather than chucks?

How do I fix this?

Video upload (Woj9) - vidme
    Video upload (2zmm) - vidme

1. Please read the sticky on form checks so we can get a better look at what's going on.
    2. You appear to be looking forward, possibly into a mirror. Look down. Have you read the book?
    3. It looks like you're going too low on the set filmed from the side, but not on the set filmed from the back. Tough to tell though
    4. Set your stance at the beginning and then don't move your feet until the set is over.
    5. Get tighter.
    6. Get weightlifting shoes

christielolz,

Very difficult to diagnose your squat from these videos. A view from the rear at about 45 degrees and waist-height is best, and preferably without mirror reflections.

Yes, weightlifting shoes would help, but you should be able to correct several things in the mean time.

You need to keep your head down, looking at the floor a few feet in front of you. This is difficult to do when facing a mirror, although you may need to do this to get a helpful video.

You need to bend over more and push your hips back. You are still using mostly high bar technique, which is causing your knees to flex too much and travel too far forward, which will also contribute to your heels lifting. Point your chest at the floor. You are also going too deep.

Shove your knees out much harder.

Reread the squat chapter from SSBBT and post another video as described.

Looks like Ryan beat me to the post, but with very good and more succinct advice.