starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first day trying weightlifting shoes and they've definitely helped me with my squats and maybe with deadlifts as well? Before today's session, the weight I deadlifted were either so-so or I wasn't able to get them off the ground at all. Today, it was incredibly difficult but I was still able to pick them up. So I thought this would be a good time to get my form checked again.

This is using 255lbs. I weigh 180 at 6'. Been doing SS off and on for three months but seriously with more food for about a month and a half.

I notice when I'm lifting that I consciously think to myself that I need to get my chest up and really show the logo on my shirt to the wall and get everything tight. From the video, it looks to me like I could do that better. Also, it looks like my back is way too horizontal and it's more of a stiff legged deadlift but I'm not sure if this is okay? I setup with the bar at about 1.5 inches away from my shins like the book says and I'm guessing my long femurs cause my back to need to be horizontal?
    Last edited by Polishdude20; 02-17-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: changed link with time. nvm doesn't work.

You appear to be on your toes. Look at how far forward your shoulders are out in front of the bar. See how the weight casts forward on the first rep ? Look for step 4.5 of the 5 step deadlift in the book. Without dropping your hips, shift your weight back to mid foot. You may have to over correct by feeling the weight on your heels to get this right.

Give it a shot an post a new vid.