starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would I get "white lights" on this guy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It looks deeper than the squats that Ray Williams gets white lights on.

What I really want to avoid is a scenario where I end up a quarter inch higher each time I up the weight. Best way to avoid that kind of pattern is to always hold myself to an arbitrary standard, whatever that may be.

I agree, as someone not competing, that one inch between my squat and regulation parallel probably makes little difference. However I have to force myself to be disciplined and not give just a little more every time the lift is just a little harder.

For illustrative purposes, whether or not today's was above or below parallel, last week's heavy at 360 got better depth any way you slice it. I don't want to have this become a habit to the point that I'm quarter-squatting like a bro, with a moisture-wicking tank top, gloves and a bar pad, lol.

Last edited by DannyP; 03-13-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Wasn't even going to post this one because for some reason the clip came out blurry, but for comparison sake, this was the second single from today at the same weight. Depth look any better, or quality too degraded to be sure?

It really depends on which federation you are competing in. I've seen some higher squats pass even in the USAPL. It comes down to the judges, and how strict they are individually.
    To me, that squat is high. Camera angles are always deceiving on the eyes, but I think you should sink it just a little bit more.

As I continue to review the relevant literature (older posts on here) and applicable field studies (my squat clips; myself in the mirror) I have come to the following conclusions:

1. For the purposes of training "the program" my hip joint is most likely below my kneecap, based on how far down that joint actually is in the bottom position (feeling around for the end of the femur in a squatted position, approximating its position in the pic).

2. This squat does not meet the necessary criteria to permit internet bragging about reaching a new PR of 365, hence I will need to demonstrate a deeper squat in order to participate in such (I will also need a significantly higher number to brag here, but I digress...).

And this ought to do it...

Rest of the session was utter dog poop, but this beginning made up for it .

One interesting thing I realized is that, since my knees tend to move a bit in the hole, that I break parallel a tiny bit above where I bottom out. Need to work on that...

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The typical USAPL ref is going to give you reds on that. USPA ref may white light it. I honestly think, if you're training for general strength as a long term adaptation, you're better off getting about an inch or two deeper for general hip mobility.
    Hmm, based on my revised interpretation of what constitutes "apex," after having read this thread a while back, I would have thought surely today's would constitute below parallel:

Interpretation of "apex of crease of the hips" for judging depth.

My problem with getting much deeper than that is my affinity for the wide stance. Taking a wide stance helps me keep the knees out and get a good bounce from my adductors. If I go to shoulder-width my knees might as well be balls-in-sockets rather than joints...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    Hmm, based on my revised interpretation of what constitutes "apex," after having read this thread a while back, I would have thought surely today's would constitute below parallel:

Interpretation of "apex of crease of the hips" for judging depth.

My problem with getting much deeper than that is my affinity for the wide stance. Taking a wide stance helps me keep the knees out and get a good bounce from my adductors. If I go to shoulder-width my knees might as well be balls-in-sockets rather than joints...
    ahh.... the Apex thread.
    That never really got resolved.
    LMAO SSCs don't where the Apex spot is.

SS criterion:
    The Holy Book, clearly says the apex of the hip crease is where the hip joint is (ball & socket) approx.
    That is about where 'B' is in the diagram. Bliss's 'B' is a little low; so is the Book's diagram IMO.
    Not where the uppermost part of the thigh meets the torso/gut hip. . . . that's not where the ball of your femur is . . .just below the skin.

Its right here:

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

Danny, your squats are too close to call; what does it matter if no compete.

Pants obscures a lot.

squat deeper.

Don't worry about bar weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Danny, your squats are too close to call; what does it matter if no compete.

Pants obscures a lot.

squat deeper.

Don't worry about bar weight.
    Yea, if I'm no longer getting clearly below parallel, then maybe it's time to go back a few lbs on the bar for both heavy and back-off sets. Right now that's about as good as it gets for heavy singles and fairly heavy back-offs. Maybe I'll start by shedding 15-20lbs from each on Monday and see if I can't stretch a little lower (within the confines of my wide-ass stance).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast