starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old guy squat form check

Default old guy squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Trying to learn High bar technique, low bar is hell on my elbows.

Thanks

Last edited by lumpy; 03-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.

If you tried low bar with those bent wrists and that narrow of a grip I can believe you had elbow issues. Your arms should not be taking the weight of the bar. I think you can easily do low bar if you fix your grip.

You need to lower the rack pins so you can unrack and rack safely at higher weight.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    If you tried low bar with those bent wrists and that narrow of a grip I can believe you had elbow issues. Your arms should not be taking the weight of the bar. I think you can easily do low bar if you fix your grip.

You need to lower the rack pins so you can unrack and rack safely at higher weight.

Greg

Thanks, I was using a much wider grip with straight wrists with low bar, but still haven't been able to solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Greg
    Agreed about the bent wrists, but not the narrow grip. I take a similarly narrow grip and low bar without any pain.

lumpy, you have a video on your channel of someone squatting 445, if you hold your hands the same way and let the bar rest on your rear delts, you shouldn't have any pain.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Agreed about the bent wrists, but not the narrow grip. I take a similarly narrow grip and low bar without any pain.

lumpy, you have a video on your channel of someone squatting 445, if you hold your hands the same way and let the bar rest on your rear delts, you shouldn't have any pain.
    BBB, in reading the few posts you've made here, it's pretty clear you're a "been there, done that" guy. Would you consider starting a training log in the appropriate section?

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    BBB, in reading the few posts you've made here, it's pretty clear you're a "been there, done that" guy. Would you consider starting a training log in the appropriate section?
    Dag, I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: what's the point of a training log?

I like reading them because I like to see how other people train. What exercises they like and how their routine is set up. It really serves no purpose for you, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    I like reading them because I like to see how other people train. What exercises they like and how their routine is set up. It really serves no purpose for you, lol.
    Hmm... I don't think I'm a 'special snowflake;' there are plenty of very smart/knowledgeable people in this forum. If I showed you my training spreadsheets you'd probably doze off. It's boring crap... I don't do anything flashy. Here's a template that I've used for a year now:

Tuesday:
    - Squat 5x5
    - Bench 5x5
    - Row 3x10

Thursday:
    - Squat 2x5
    - OHP 3x5
    - Strict pullups 3x10
    - Hyper-extensions 5x10

Saturday:
    - Squat 1x5
    - Bench 1x5 / 2x3
    - Deadlift 1x5

Your basic cookie-cutter TM template as described here: The Texas Method | T Nation with minor modifications. I very rarely change things up and trust me, when I do it's just as boring

Ha! Fair enough!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post

That's my son, Iv'e been trying to get him to coach me up, but he's got no time for the old man haha.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast