starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys, been having this lower back soreness when doing low bar squats. I used to only do high bar squats, but been transitioning to low and wondering where I need improvements in my form. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

20170218_110242_1.mp4 - Google Drive

Default Squat form check

You are still effectively squatting "high bar." Look at your back and see how vertical it is. We don't want that. Lean over more on the outset of the movement. Look at a point 4-6 feet on the floor in front of you. Point your chest at the floor. Proud chest, too. Less elbows.

Beyond that, you are dive bombing these, i.e., falling into the bottom. Further your knees are squishy through the whole movement. Do you see how the punch forward at the bottom? When you start, shove your knees out, get them just past your toes, and keep them there.

You are also not tight at all and going too deep, thus your low back flexes and likely the reason for the discomfort, combined with the excessively fast descent.

Loose the deck shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by elchoi View Post
    Hey guys, been having this lower back soreness when doing low bar squats. I used to only do high bar squats, but been transitioning to low and wondering where I need improvements in my form. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

20170218_110242_1.mp4 - Google Drive
    Have you read the book? I'm pretty sure the bar is not in the lowbar position and these look nothing like the lowbar squat we teach. You are not leaning over at all. Also please read the sticky on form checks so we can see more of what's going on

Appreciate all the feedback, but yeah I'm definitely having issues with bar placement and in general the overall desent when doing squats. Just can't seem to put everything toget her at once.