starting strength gym

Thread: FNG requesting form check

Default FNG requesting form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After rupturing L5/S1, got fat and deconditioned.

Read several posts on here about people strengthening their damaged back with DL and Squats and helping with local and sciatica pain. Thought its time I jumped in.

I don't have the shoulder flexibility yet to put the bar on my back for squatting. I'm currently doing the stretch where to grab the bar and push under and through stretching the shoulders....painful.

I'v read the DL part of the book and watched many of the SS videos. I have a decent idea of what I'm trying to do. But putting the bar in the hands and doing it is different.

Anyhow, the bar alone felt really wonky but I did a bunch of pulls with it, moved to 25s, the 35s and now 45s feel best. I think it's heavy enough to make me have to start doing things more deliberately and feeling some feedback. I feel like I could put more on, but I want my form to be dead on.

Please let me know how I can do better:

Starting strength help - YouTube

This weight is very light for you. Your set up is decent. Areas for improvement: 1) Squeeze your chest up tighter to get your back tighter. 2) As you initiate the lift, push the floor away from you with your feet. You, currently, are trying to stand up by lifting your back/chest. Which is leading you to not fully extend your knees soon enough: watch the bar path, and note how you have to move the bar around your knees, instead of pulling the bar up in a straight line; you want a straight line. As the weight gets heavier it will be harder to move the bar around your knees, so you want to fix this issue now before the weights get that heavy. Also, for your low-back safety, you don't want the weight/bar drifting forward of mid-foot with heavy weight; the farther forward the weight gets the more stress it puts on your low back.

Thanks for taking the time to analyze and comment! I definitely felt and now see that "arc" around my knees. I will try the pushing the floor away and see what changes. My low back is sore, but nothing in glutes or hamstrings.

Please take a look at my squat. I forgot video has to be at 45deg. I’ll do it correctly next time.

Thanks

YouTube

Hello

Please have a look at my squat. I’ve been working on it for about 2 months.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    Hello

Please have a look at my squat. I’ve been working on it for about 2 months.

YouTube
    You are dive bombing into the bottom of each rep and going too deep (trying to bounce off your knees). This weight is very light for you at 2 months into NLP... did you reset? Get tighter and control your descent. Think "up" on the way down so you can stop the descent at the correct depth and get the desired bounce.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Sir!

Yes I have restarted several times (most every time I tweak my back).

I have recently been trying to find or feel the rebound. I agree that I’m doing it wrong. I don’t want to hurt my knees.

It’s 250lbs. It feels very heavy to me. I’m surprised how fast I’m moving it in in the videos. It certainly feels slow and hard.

Here is another one. I think I was bombing these ones too.

I’m going to forget about the stretch reflex and just go slow and focus on tightness.

Thanks again! And please critique as must as you want.

YouTube