starting strength gym

Thread: Help with form on deadlift and squat

Default Help with form on deadlift and squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Recently started filming, and wow was my form ugly. Got some help on the forums last week, but would like more. This is all with weights that feel easy, trying to get form down right before restarting progression:

Deadlift (I can't figure out what is going on with my upper back, I keep "squeezing my chest up" but I don't think I'm doing it right):
    Shared album - Matt Krimmer - Google Photos

Squat (I've been working to get lower and get less vertical than I had been; changed where I look):

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by mckrimma View Post
    Recently started filming, and wow was my form ugly. Got some help on the forums last week, but would like more. This is all with weights that feel easy, trying to get form down right before restarting progression:

Deadlift (I can't figure out what is going on with my upper back, I keep "squeezing my chest up" but I don't think I'm doing it right):

Squat (I've been working to get lower and get less vertical than I had been; changed where I look):

Thanks in advance for the help!
    dude, where do I start? I don't want to give you all the things wrong here. I would suggest you thoroughly read and watch vid's. while you are watching you own vid, read along the SSBBT. pause as you read. Note what your doing wrong or right. IMO, this is the best way to learn.

Squat: 1) Start with a wider stance, heels under shoulders (from the angle of this video it looks like you are more narrow that that). 2) Set your knees over your toes (or an inch or two in front of your toes) by about 1/2 down; this means the knees need to stop moving forward (watch in your video how your knees keep pushing very far forward of where your toes are). 3) Looks like you have a slight misunderstanding of the "lean over" cue. First, don't lean over to start the movement, instead break your knees and hips first, then lean over and point your chest to the ground. However, before you even unrack the bar, and before you begin the descent, you must keep your back in extension; to do this, think "proud chest". It may feel weird to keep a "proud chest" and also point your chest to the ground, but that is what you must learn. You are currently letting your upper back round (not keeping it in extension); avoid this with the proud chest cue.

DL: 1) Read the 5 step set up checklist. 2) On step 4, you are not squeezing your chest up, you are cranking your head back. Try to show your nipples to the wall in front of you/rotate your chest up between your shoulders. 2) You are not keeping your hips up in the set up. Instead you are squatting down with your knees and hips, which is a) pushing the bar forward of midfoot and b) moving your shoulders over the bar, which is incorrect (at teh start the shoulders should be forward of the bar). Keep your hips up. To set your back, refer to step 4, and don't cheat by lowering your hips.

Deadlift in 5 Steps.

1. Place bar 1-inch from shins. Over the middle of the foot as measured from toes to heels. MNG: Hard to tell if you are getting close enough, but it doesn't matter because you are moving the bar in your combined Step 2/3.
    2. Without bending your knees, take a grip on the bar right outside your shins, DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. MNG: You are bending your knees when you take a grip. You are moving the bar forward. Stop bending your knees.
    3. Drop you shins to the bar by bending your knees. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. MNG: Your combined this step with Step 2 and you moved the bar forward.
    4. Squeeze your chest up to set the back in extension without dropping your hips. DO NOT DROP YOUR HIPS BECAUSE IT WILL MOVE THE BAR. MNG: At this point you have already moved the bar forward and dropped your hips. When you go to squeeze your chest, all your doing is lifting your head. Your upper back is rounded; not in extension.
    5. Drag the bar up your legs, keeping in contact with your legs the whole way up. MNG: Looks like you are loosing some contact.

Keep working on it, you will eventually get it. See if there is a SS coach in your area. It is worth it to have someone work with you on your lifts.
    Last edited by Matt Gale; 04-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Butt is too low. Head is too high. Film from 45 degree angle.