starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have been doing SS for a fair while now, got to an 80kg squat and 81kg BW, but just recently did a pretty big deload on my squat back to 65kg. I did this because my knees were buckling in and I ignored it for too long thinking it would sort itself out, it didn't.

But I am working on keeping my knees out at the moment and trying to get use to bracing the right way, I was doing it wrong before and breathing into my chest and if my judgement is right I probably should work on setting my hips back more to create a more 45 degree back angle.

Just wondering if there is anything else that can be seen that I could work on, all the advice is really appreciated!

Cheers!

Form check squat - YouTube

It seems like you're in quite a rush diving down but then decelerate just before the bottom, effectively removing the useful stretch reflex down there. Instead try to keep one controlled speed on the descent and when you hit parallell go shoot straight up again as powerfully as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    It seems like you're in quite a rush diving down but then decelerate just before the bottom, effectively removing the useful stretch reflex down there. Instead try to keep one controlled speed on the descent and when you hit parallel go shoot straight up again as powerfully as you can.
    Basically this. Think about staying tight in your descent. It'll keep your hamstrings taut. Also keep fighting for that knees out position on your ascent. They have a tendency to cave in.