starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been training for about 5 years, but didn't start the SS LP until about 3 months ago. My squat has been chugging along nicely but I've been lacking in the deadlift department and I believe it's due to technique. I squatted 375x3x5 today followed by this attempted set of 405x5 on the pull. I only got 4. Any critiques are greatly appreciated.

Deadlift form check 405 lbs - YouTube

Hear that clinking noise when you start pulling? That means you haven't pulled the slack out of the bar and created enough tension in the setup.

Run through Rippetoe's five steps setup and make sure you're really squeezing your chest up before initiating the pull. A good cue is thinking about showing the print on your t-shirt off to people in front of you.

It looked like the bar drifted forward a bit on reps 3 and 4. Make sure the bar stays in contact with your legs. This may be a result of not setting up correctly as athlegan mentioned.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You're really not putting your upper back into extension at all on these, which is making the pull longer and harder than it needs to be. Really focus on step 4 of the deadlift setup (pulling chest up).

Also, when you set the weight down, don't break your knees so early...it's causing the bar to be placed ahead of your midfoot, and then you have to let go of the bar and reset. Break at the hips to begin setting the bar down, and then break at the knees after the bar has passed them. Try this slowly with 135 lbs a few times to get the movement pattern ingrained, and then put the bar down faster as it gets heavier. My experience with heavy deadlifts is that it's much easier to quickly reset and go than to take a bunch of time between reps...the better able you are to put the bar back where it needs to be, the less time you need to fuck around between reps.

I appreciate the critiques, I'm going to lower the weight next training session and work on the chest up cue and setting my back into extension. I'll post another video after.