starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First off, thank you for all you do. I've been learning an immense amount about strength training from reading SS and visiting this website.

Form Checks on 3.31.17

Squat 225x5 : I've been trying to cut depth and I noticed that as the reps continue I tend to sink deeper and deeper. My "fear" is that I'll have a few reps that don't hit depth and that'll just fuck with me. Fast forward to yesterday and I've tweaked my lower back. That has spurred these form checks to be posted in this forum. I'm guessing not staying tight in the bottom is what led to the unfortunate event yesterday.

Squat 225x5 3.31.17 - YouTube

Deadlift 275x5 : These felt much stronger than the 270lb I lifted Wednesday. However, I think this might be a lift where most improvement is needed. I don't love my set-up. It looks from this video that I lean back getting into a good position, hesitate the lift, and then start from a poorer position. Yesterday, after I tweaked my lower back I continued to workout and 280lb felt really good and fast.

DL 275x5 3.31.17 - YouTube

I know you're all thinking, "What the fuck Dejackson, it'd be great if we had form checks of your session from yesterday." I just didn't record my session. Today there is definitely tightness and some achiness in the lower back. I'm going to do my warm-up sets tomorrow as scheduled and take it from there.

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Dejackson
    Last edited by Dejackson; 04-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Squats: Yes, you are too deep. Yes you are getting too loose at the bottom. So: Stop it. Cut them off sooner. Video your warm ups. Watch the video of each set before you perform the next set. If you are too deep, then cut the depth of the next set off sooner; if you are not deep enough go a little deeper on the next set. Work on it until you reach the proper depth consistently. Being too high for a work out of two is not the end of the world when you are trying to teach your self proper depth; just dont make a habit of it. Or if you have someone experienced who can watch you lift have them call out depth on each rep. Or you can find a box or bench that is the proper depth, and squat to the box, touch it and go; do not sit down on it, just stay tight, touch it to find proper depth and drive your hips straight up.

Also, slow down a bit, you are rushing between reps. Take your time to get a good new breath between each rep and brace your torso properly; valsalva is your friend and you are going to fast to make full use of its benefits.

Deadlift: go up to the sticky in this forum and find the post about the 5 steps deadlift set up. You are not following the five steps. You are not following step 4 (squeeze up your chest to set your back); instead, you are dropping your hips to get a flat back. With your back issue, you really need to learn to properly set your back.

I'll be working on this moving forward. Thanks for you input.

Updated Squat and Deadlift 4.5.17:

Had a scare on Monday, felt a lower back tweak on my first or second set of squats. I was relieved to feel good enough this morning to stay on track with the program.

Squats 235x5: Because of the tweak on Monday I really made a conscious effort to cut depth and really focus on valsalva technique. This was the first time I could tell on video where depth was cut. Do you think I have room for a little cut more or keep it where it is? Elbows seem flared up but I'm trying to be a little more bent over as well. I feel like it is coming along. Back felt good during the sets, so I'm most happy about that.

Squat 235x5 4.5.17 - YouTube

Deadlift 285x5: Tried to focus again on valsalva technique and resetting in between reps. These keep feeling better and better.

DL 285x5 4.5.17 - YouTube

Again, I really appreciate the feedback I've received. It has helped tremendously. Let me know what you think, I sincerely appreciate all the help!
    Best,
    Dejackson

Squats: Reps 2, 3 and 5 were an inch or two deeper than needed. R1 was a very good rep. It is hard to give general advice to you b/c your reps vary/different errors on different reps. For instance, on R2 & 4 as you approach the bottom, you speed up the descent; try to maintain a consistent/smooth descent (your back will thank you). Overall, a good improvement from the last video. As for your elbows, find and read Jordan's article about elbow problems; your hands are sitting on top of the bar, try rotating them down and back so your palms are on the backside of the bar, and "stick your elbows in your back pockets."

Don't be afraid to start wearing a belt for your work sets, and even your warm ups. It's generally recommended around here to belt up sooner for those with back issues. I have a history of back issues, and I use a belt starting with my 3rd weighted warm up set to be on the safe side.

DL: Hard to see much from this angle, it's better to have the camera more to the side or maybe a 15 degree angle from the front. But it looks like you are sitting your hips back and down instead of squeezing your chest up. Watch your video. Notice on every rep you lower your hips and sit back in order to try to get your back tight, but you dont see any squeezing of the chest. Then you start pulling, but before the bar leaves the ground your hips move up for a few inches, then the bar leaves the ground. If you keep your hips up, and squeeze your chest up to get your back tight, your hips wont have that wasted movement before the bar leave the ground. Also, you are not getting your back as tight as it could be, and will need to be when as your move towards heavier weights. So, once you grab the bar, make a conscious effort to not let your hips move down, but instead try to point your nipples to the wall in front of you (which may result in a minor lowering of the hips, but it will be less than what you've got going on right now).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again AtlantaDave. I appreciate you taking the time to critique. I'll keep working on it!