starting strength gym

Thread: Moving from high bar to low bar squat

Default Moving from high bar to low bar squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently finished up a beltless high bar squat LP at 315# for 3 sets of 5. I now want to deload for a week or two and transition to the low bar back squat with a belt. I dropped down to 245 and plan work my way back up in 10lb increments. I'd really appreciate any tips on my form and making the transition to LBBS so I can set good habits at the beginning.

In particular, how does the bar placement look? It felt awkward lower on my back. How about my back angle? I tried to keep looking down, but again it felt awkward compared to what I'm used to. And the belt was really uncomfortable. Any tips on getting used to a belt? Thanks all.

Link: Testing low bar back squat on Vimeo

-You're still trying to grip the bar with all your fingers equally. It leads to your wrists bending backwards. Wedge the bar with the meat of your palms and allow your first few fingers to loosely touch the bar.

-Is the belt tight enough? It should be tight enough that you can't fit more than a couple fingers in the back.

-Your depth was good.

Overall, these look decent.

Dark shirt, plus dark bar, plus camera far away makes it hard to see bar placement. It looks about right from what we can see.

Why are you pausing at the bottom? You should not pause, but instead utilize the stretch reflex.

Try to set your knees about 1/2 way down, then don't let them push forward for the remainder of the descent.

That weight looks very light, especially since you were able to pause the 5th rep. Typically, a low bar squat is going to be stronger than a high bar squat. Unless you are being overly cautious for an unstated reason, I think dropping to 245 is too much of a deload.

Haha, did that kid yell "I'm leading!" or "I'm bleeding!"

Ha, yes. My little guy was yelling "I'm bleeding". He wasn't. Just a scratch.

There was no good reason for the pauses. I think I was just getting a feel for things. I'll bump up to 275 and then 295 and work on maximizing the stretch reflex.

I'll keep working on shoulder mobility to get my hands higher on top of the bar. Thanks for the tips.