starting strength gym

Thread: Fixing knees in the squat

Default Fixing knees in the squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

Can you help me figure out my knees in the squat. And anything else that's drastically wrong?

I seem to have developed a habit of them going out to initiate the squat and descend and then on the way up they come in slightly then go back out.

On the 45' angle a few of the reps look pretty good to me - 1,2 & 3... 4 & 5 the knees come in on the way up.

45' angle - 2nd of 3 sets:
    Squat 100kg 45' angle - YouTube

In a few reps I have noticed that I may be pushing my knees out further than required and then when coming up they correct and then get pushed out again. Making the whole thing look a bit wobbly and weird. You can see this on the rear angle.

Rear angle, set 3 of 3:
    Squat 100kg rear angle - YouTube

I did 3x5 @ 100kg today (reduced from previous working sets of 112.5kg)

Thanks for your help

In my humble opinion, you are shoving our knees out too far during the descent. Your knees come in to where they should be in the hole, then continue to collapse on the way up.

Femurs should track the foot angle. Knees too far out is a flaw just like knees caving in. Try not shoving your knees out soo far and see if it's easier to prevent the knees from collapsing on the way up.

Otherwise, good looking squats!'

Hey Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to review and make comment.

One question.

In the past, when the wait gets close to my max i tend to get knee slide for which (from my understanding) one of the queues to fix is "knees out" given that my knees are already way out, what are some of the other things I could be doing?

Do I need to make sure I'm sitting back and down and leaning over more to compensate?

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Yes - think knees in line with toes and not further outside. For knee slide in general:

How to use the TUBOW

Also your heaviest sets will never look perfect. The best you can do is to continue to work on fixing flaws in warmups and lighter work sets and eventually the heavy sets will get better too

What Ryan said.

Knees out CAN be a cue to fix need slide, but it's not the only fix. It depends on what else is happening with the lifter's form. Refer to the linked video above.

Thanks for the link to the video Ryan and follow up Adam.

Hey Guys,

Today I did some sets with TUBOW and I gotta say it felt like learning to squat again.

Although many people use TUBOW to stop knee slide it found it terrible useful for the tracking of my knees, and guiding them straight out over in line with my femurs and toes.

For a long time I've been jamming them too far out it would seem.

This new found alignment has bought with it some challenges and I'm wondering if my back angle is ok?

I felt as though I needed to lean over a little more in order to keep my balance and set the knees in the right place.

Here's a video where I used TUBOW... the gym got too busy to film any more but I did add some more height to TUBOW and knocked it over a couple of times on subsequent sets.

Tubow set 1 - YouTube

80kg x 5

Just looking for some constructive feedback...

Thanks

Mike

starting strength coach development program
    Just another better follow up with the TUBOW.

In an attempt to fix the knee slide issue I think I'm creating another - some flexion in my lower back at the bottom of the reps.

These are some videos from today's session. Again, kept it light to try to work on fixing my form before progressing:

Tubow 2 45' 80kg - YouTube

Tubow 2 side 80kg - YouTube

Thanks for any advice on these you can offer!