starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Worries & Form Update after 1 month

Default Squat Worries & Form Update after 1 month

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1 Month Ago:
    SS lowbarsquat - YouTube

After getting some tips and advice, I decided to stick with the low bar squat work to improve my form. I lowered the weights (yeh, it was hard :/ ) and it was necessary. I feel like I've done a lot of progress and now I'm back at approx the same weight at 82.5kg and looking for ways to improve.. I am really worried about getting injured. Feels like my lower back gets into hyperextension sometimes as I'm pushing out of the bottom. This happens in The Press as well (quite pronounced). I'm afraid I will get injured: Should I get a belt? What are your first thoughts as to what I should work on?

Technique today:
    RippetoeSquat 82kg - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    1 Month Ago:
    SS lowbarsquat - YouTube

After getting some tips and advice, I decided to stick with the low bar squat work to improve my form. I lowered the weights (yeh, it was hard :/ ) and it was necessary. I feel like I've done a lot of progress and now I'm back at approx the same weight at 82.5kg and looking for ways to improve.. I am really worried about getting injured. Feels like my lower back gets into hyperextension sometimes as I'm pushing out of the bottom. This happens in The Press as well (quite pronounced). I'm afraid I will get injured: Should I get a belt? What are your first thoughts as to what I should work on?

Technique today:
    RippetoeSquat 82kg - YouTube
    Your knees..

Looks like to me they are sliding forward. Set them in 1/3 - 1/2 of the rep and keep them there.

You are sitting down.. Sit back.. bend your torso over more at the hips

You may have to reset again. Use TUBOW.

But what do i know? I fuk3d up my own knees with same problem and am on rehab for last 2 weeks.

Hm.. That would suck if that's true. Would love to hear another's perspective if this is true.

1. You are too deep.

2. You are dive bombing the descent.

3. You are getting loose at the bottom because of 2.

4. You have not read the Sticky about posting form checks.

Anything else other than that you see Satch? I'll try a 45 degree angle next time

I think I understand what you mean by "sitting back" and I can feel it makes the hip drive better. I filmed at a better angle so it's easy to see, dropped the weights just a little to 75kg from 82 so I don't reset much. I'm done with fixing my technique now haha (srs).. The angle view is 3 reps because I did it as my 4th set, forgot to set a better angle at the 3 previous ones.

Better 45 degree angle :

Side view (Previous Set)

Last edited by SSDino; 04-25-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Your squats are not bad.
    Here are some things I notice though:
    1. Where's the bounce? Your squat seems to go below parallel and return to standing without a "bounce".
    2. Where's the big air and valsalva? I see ZERO inflation and subsequently no tightening down on said inflation.
    3. Is the bar too low? I don't know; I just have a feeling maybe it is based on how it looks right now.
    4. Where's the hip drive out of the hole? It looks like you remember to drive your hips about 1/2 way up but you come out of the hole like a leg press. Imagine Mark Rippetoe himself smacking you on the sacrum and saying "LIFT THIS UP."

Do you need a belt? Only you can answer that.

Will you get injured? Yes. LOL. This is lifting. Everyone gets injured except some people think they are the only ones. Truth is everyone gets injured in lifting. The longer you do it; the more likely it becomes too.

Hey, add a little weight at a time, you will probably find some of these things just happening on their own as you figure it out. Stop worrying so much and add a little more weight each time. Learn something from each workout and come back better next time.

Great feedback my friend.

1. I'll try to work on making the movement more fluid, I think it comes with experience too as I just "changed" my squat quite a bit.

2. I am breathing deep and getting tight, maybe I was slacking on that 4th set? I don't know or it could be that my shirt is too big, but regardless I should probably try to do it even more. Is it okay if I get air up to my chest or should it only be in the belly?

3. I'm not sure, I drag the bar through the back and on that position it "clicks" and it normally feels good during the set.

4. Well fuck me, haha.

That's an interesting point Dwayne, so let me ask you: Do you believe there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to strength training? I.E the benefits of increasing strength doesn't give that huge benefits to risk the chance of injury? If that's the case where do you believe is that point, after LP?

EDIT:
    Oh and I specifically ask regarding injury because I injured my lower back a while ago (still feel it sometimes) and I'm so fking scared to get injured again, that's why I have been focusing so much on the technique. Would you then recommend a belt? (When do you think it's time to use one?)
    Last edited by SSDino; 04-25-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: THE BELT

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post

That's an interesting point Dwayne, so let me ask you: Do you believe there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to strength training? I.E the benefits of increasing strength doesn't give that huge benefits to risk the chance of injury? If that's the case where do you believe is that point, after LP?

EDIT:
    Oh and I specifically ask regarding injury because I injured my lower back a while ago (still feel it sometimes) and I'm so fking scared to get injured again, that's why I have been focusing so much on the technique. Would you then recommend a belt? (When do you think it's time to use one?)
    Don't worry so much about this stuff lol Just lift and enjoy the journey! I wouldn't worry about diminishing returns being a beginner/intermediate. Personally, I love squatting with a belt. I think squatting with a belt set 1 notch looser than "tight", helps reinforce breathing and bracing to fill that gap. I bought a cheap $40 powerlifting belt 4 years ago and it still works just fine.