starting strength gym

Thread: Low Bar Squat

Default Low Bar Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    VID 20170508 0425 - YouTube

Hello guys I am new here and I was wondering if someone could take a loot at my squat
    Video is a bit shaky, sorry about that gym was crowded :/

So I am having lower back issues for some time. Recently it got much better and I don't feel any pain whatsoever on squat/deadlift days.
    However I bench press 2 days after squat and my lower back hurts really bad on that workout:/ (or sometimes next day after squats).
    Is it because of butt wink? :/
    I have excessive butt wink (posterior pelvic tilt) when I squat with only a bar or bodyweight.
    Last edited by Wolf72; 05-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Posterior pelvic tilt happens at very light weight. You need some weight on the bar to brace against.

However, under load, lumbar flexion is not your issue - it's overextension. Basically, you're reaching back with your hips while keeping your chest upright, and as a result you're overarching your lumbar spine.

So, take each rep one at a time. Take a big breath, brace your whole torso as hard as you can, so that your torso cannot flex/extend/bend, then point your chest at the floor as you start the rep. In other words, lean over more by shoving your hips back while keeping a tight, braced spine. Your chest should be pointing at the floor, not the mirror.

Your knees should stop moving about a third to halfway down. Set them early and sit back and down. This should help you to stay back on the midfoot, instead of shifting forward onto your toes.

Look down at the ground a few feet in front of you.

On the way back up (now that you;ve corrected your back angle), drive your hips up, don't lead with your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Posterior pelvic tilt happens at very light weight. You need some weight on the bar to brace against.

However, under load, lumbar flexion is not your issue - it's overextension. Basically, you're reaching back with your hips while keeping your chest upright, and as a result you're overarching your lumbar spine.

So, take each rep one at a time. Take a big breath, brace your whole torso as hard as you can, so that your torso cannot flex/extend/bend, then point your chest at the floor as you start the rep. In other words, lean over more by shoving your hips back while keeping a tight, braced spine. Your chest should be pointing at the floor, not the mirror.

Your knees should stop moving about a third to halfway down. Set them early and sit back and down. This should help you to stay back on the midfoot, instead of shifting forward onto your toes.

Look down at the ground a few feet in front of you.

On the way back up (now that you;ve corrected your back angle), drive your hips up, don't lead with your chest.
    Thanks Mia. You helped me figure out my problem. It's indeed overarching my lumbar spine and that exact movement without bar causes my lower back to hurt :/
    So It kills my bench press workout because I can't use leg drive, it hurts my lower back. I believe I compressed my spine but I hope it's not too serious.

One question though: You said lean over more by shoving your hips back but when I try that I can't do it without extending my lower back :/
    I tried unracking bar, squeezing my butt and doing what i think is called anterior pelvic tilt so that my lower back stays natural but as soon as I shove my hips back it goes to overextended.

Anyway here is my deadlift, I was hoping you could check my form on that lift also
    Deadlift - YouTube
    (sorry for many reps, I am doing 5/3/1 and it's max out on last set so I tried to push it )

Imagine that your torso is a piece of steel from shoulder to hip - that's what bracing hard will get you. When you shove your hips back, with a rigid torso, your chest will point down. Alternatively, if you point your chest to the floor with a rigid torso, your hips must go back.

Per the video, when you push your hips back, you keep your chest facing upright/forward, i.e. your torso is not rigid. So, big breath, brace your abs and erectors as hard as you can, then point the top of your chest/your nipples at the floor. If the bar path is vertical, your hips must go back.

Re the deadlift, yes you're AMRAPping the last set, but you don't have to rush through it (as much as you may want to, to get it over with). You don' t have a consistent start/setup position, and as a result, sometimes the bar is too far forward of the midfoot. Your hips are too low and you're not getting squeezed up tightly enough. Re-read the setup sequence in SS:BBT and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Imagine that your torso is a piece of steel from shoulder to hip - that's what bracing hard will get you. When you shove your hips back, with a rigid torso, your chest will point down. Alternatively, if you point your chest to the floor with a rigid torso, your hips must go back.

Per the video, when you push your hips back, you keep your chest facing upright/forward, i.e. your torso is not rigid. So, big breath, brace your abs and erectors as hard as you can, then point the top of your chest/your nipples at the floor. If the bar path is vertical, your hips must go back.

Re the deadlift, yes you're AMRAPping the last set, but you don't have to rush through it (as much as you may want to, to get it over with). You don' t have a consistent start/setup position, and as a result, sometimes the bar is too far forward of the midfoot. Your hips are too low and you're not getting squeezed up tightly enough. Re-read the setup sequence in SS:BBT and try again.
    Thanks, I appreciate Your guidance.
    Here is little update:
    Squat:
    Squat2 - YouTube
    Set before last. Last set felt really heavy so I missed 4 reps to beat PR. Form doesn't look much better to me.I think there is still a bit of lumbar extension.

Deadlift:
    Deadlift2 - YouTube
    So here is update. I have trouble keeping bar on mid foot when I go for more than 3 reps :/
    Plates in my gym tend to roll a lot...