starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

The following link is a YouTube video of my warm up to 270 pounds for 3 sets of 5. I've cut out the time between sets, but there seems to be about 8 seconds of blank video before the start. The video length is about 4 minutes after editing, but the original time was around 10 minutes.

Any feedback is of course appreciated. I was doing StrongLifts until recently borrowing the Starting Strength book from a friend. I read it and have since given it back, so if any of my questions are answered by the book, please say "It's in the book."

A few specific questions I have are:

1) Am I going too fast from warm up to first work set?

2) Is my back angle good throughout the warm up and work set?

3) Am I using enough hip drive throughout?

Again, thanks for any feedback!

Warm Up to 270 3 x 5 - YouTube

Read the sticky please. Several problems with video itself.

1) the starting strength app should tell you what the warmup sets are.

2) back angle and use of valsalva looks good to me, but take HUGE INHALES and REALLY tighten everything from held breath to abs.

3) from what I'm seeing you aren't unlocking your knees forward on the first half of the descent, instead they are moving forward on the bottom third. Which could be killing hip drive. Think of the bar being on the hips, that is where your drive should be.

Additionally, the bar is not traveling directly vertical over midfoot. It's making an O shape or S shape instead of a vertical line. You are pushing off of the front and inside of your foot and ending on your heels which could also be throwing off your bar path. And also killing your hip drive.

1) If you are completing your work sets you are not going too fast. Rest enough so you are ready/receovered for your next set; dont rest so long you are no longer warm.

2) You back angle looks fine.

3) As Xanminor noted, you are holding your knees back. You should break your knees and hips at the same time to initiate the descent. Get your knees forward and out over your toes in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the descent, then set them there.

Pick a spot 3-5 feet in front of you on the floor and fix your gaze there for the duration of each rep; you are looking straight down, which can affect your balance.

Comments above are based on me only watching your last work set.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.tiemeyer View Post
    Hello,

The following link is a YouTube video of my warm up to 270 pounds for 3 sets of 5. I've cut out the time between sets, but there seems to be about 8 seconds of blank video before the start. The video length is about 4 minutes after editing, but the original time was around 10 minutes.

Any feedback is of course appreciated. I was doing StrongLifts until recently borrowing the Starting Strength book from a friend. I read it and have since given it back, so if any of my questions are answered by the book, please say "It's in the book."

A few specific questions I have are:

1) Am I going too fast from warm up to first work set?

2) Is my back angle good throughout the warm up and work set?

3) Am I using enough hip drive throughout?

Again, thanks for any feedback!

Warm Up to 270 3 x 5 - YouTube

Xanminor and AtlantaDave,

I'm sorry this took so long, but thank you for the feedback. I think I was trying to focus so much on getting my knees fixed at the right time that I totally got it all wrong. I've since focused on getting my knees "OUT" when I break at the top, and I certainly feel a lot better throughout the reps.