Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 240lbs of SQUAT CHECK

Default 240lbs of SQUAT CHECK

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    240 Squat - YouTube

I need some help with my squat, and some guidance in general

I've been struggling with the squat and basically all my lifts for a long while now, but since I have literally zero dollars and zero cents I cannot afford to see a coach at the moment.

I've had a ridiculous amount of trouble getting the movement to feel right even at lighter weights and now that the weight is getting heavier it no longer really feels safe to keep progessing. I'm having some wicked arm pain after squatting and minor back discomfort to go along with that too.

I just don't really know what to do with myself. I'm not sure if I should de-load to try to fix my form or just keep pushing through. I've been feeling frustrated because I can't really make progress like most people I've seen because I'm just like, coordinatively retarded or something, as whingy as that sounds

Tl;dr, I suck.

You are not getting tight enough at all. You are "hanging from the bar" as opposed to pining it to your back from the beginning - watch the squat grip videos and compare it to what you're doing. Take and hold each of your valsalvs. Bend over early in the squat and get your knees where they should be, and keep them there, until you are halfway back up. Do some TUBOW. Do these things and check back.

Retard Squatting (175lbs) - YouTube

I decided to focus mainly on correcting my grip/upper back position today. I worked up to 175 before maintaining "chest up" started to become a serious effort. I'm still not sure I'm even close to where I'm supposed to be in terms of back position. For the longest time I tried to raise my chest by kind of producing a thoracic extension from like my neck almost which didn't do much. It kind of seemed to click yesterday and I realized I might just have to think out pushing my chest out as far as I can instead of up, although that's probably not a good way to cue. I also tried to focus on keeping tighter valsava but I have a lot of trouble with it. I can literally turn purple doing it but it never seems to do much when I squat or dead

As you've pointed out I have some pretty serious knee slide, but I wasn't sure how to set up my "Terribly Useful Broken Snare Drum Stand" in a way that I could unrack the bar, walk it out, and have it be used as intended.

I probably really need to see a coach but I don't think anyone can really unfuck my very poor motor skills. Pardon me for venting, but it's just frustrating having gained nearly 60lbs, spent countless nights reading the book, articles, watching the videos, searching the forums, literally almost never missing a day at the gym all over the last year and a half and just having gone from just being skinny and weak to fat and weak. Although it IS kind of my fault.

I don't think anyone can really unfuck my very poor motor skills. Pardon me for venting, but it's just frustrating having gained nearly 60lbs, spent countless nights reading the book, articles, watching the videos, searching the forums, literally almost never missing a day at the gym all over the last year and a half and just having gone from just being skinny and weak to fat and weak. Although it IS kind of my fault.
    Are you me? I really identified myself in this part. You're not alone.

I see two things:

1) Already mentioned, but your upper back is not tight. Narrow your grip and tighten your upper back. Your back probably hurts because you've let it go soft and the bar is mashing the shit out of it.
    2) Your toes are pointed too straight ahead. This is likely causing your knee slide and it's causing you to miss depth on a few reps as your belly gets bound up by your thighs in the bottom. Angle your feet and shove your knees out on the descent. This creates space for your belly to drop down between your legs. This let's you get the full benefit of the stretch reflex off the adductors, and thus lets you really explode out of the bottom. Moreover, I think you'll find that the movement will 'feel right' to a much greater extent if you do this.

You are lifting your elbows too high. Comparr your arms to the squat grip video on here. Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You are lifting your elbows too high. Comparr your arms to the squat grip video on here. Where do you live?
    I live in commiefornia. I've tried to drop my elbows in the past but it just feels....wrong. Like, I don't mean that I'm just used to having them cranked to high hell but it feels like the bar is going to drop straight off my back irrespective of whatever else I do with my positioning. I'll try again tomorrow and check back

Where in California? We have some good coaches out here who could help you a lot in person.

If you bring your grip in narrower and get bent over more at the start of your descent, the lower elbows work better.

I live in da EA$T BAY. I already contacted Comrade Campitelli but he hasn't answered my email. I think he might be out of town. Leah is too far from me so that basically only leaves the folks at Bay Strength. I just got in touch with them but I'm kind of reluctant to spend what little money I have.

Also, am I literally supposed to start the squat already leaned over? Like, do I cock my hips back before sinking down to set the back angle? I always thought just having the bar in the low position and making good use of the hips would take care of that, although I guess since my elbows are so high I'm probably compensating for by staying more upright

starting strength coach development program
    The Bay Strength crew are good. I can personally vouch for Gwen Brookes (I had a training session with her a few months ago). If you're up for a drive, Tom DiStasio in Sacramento is a kick-ass coach. I work with him pretty regularly.

The knees and hips really should break at the same time, but the knees should be done moving forward by the time you're about halfway down - the rest is pretty much hips. Try this next time: Face away from the mirror, Bring your hands in about two finger widths on each side. Before you descend (each time), pull your elbows together (not back, not up, but together). Take a hard valsalva, and then go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast