Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,
    I started LP about a month ago.
    I started experiencing daily knee trouble when standing up from low chairs and getting up from some sort of a lunge(sometimes when walking up/down the stairs).
    I started paying close attention to my knees and pushing them out on the way up.
    Here is a video from the last session(A lot of noise from neighbors so the video is muted ):

LB 82.5KG - YouTube

I think my squat form is what causing my knees problem.

Thank you in advance.

I see two things for your knees: 1)you are going too far below parallel 2) you need squat shoes. Don't look in the mirror on the ascent. Also eat enough so you recover adequately and gain weight.

Thank you for the response.
    1)Other than the squat depth, is everything else looks fine? maybe I'm going too low because I can't produce a proper stretch reflex?
    2)How urgent is it? I don't have the money at the moment but I'm going to EU in 2 weeks so I might find it cheaper than in Israel.
    I saw many good lifters lift without them.
    *I'm gaining 1kg a week?. Should I gain more?

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    I see two things for your knees: 1)you are going too far below parallel 2) you need squat shoes. Don't look in the mirror on the ascent. Also eat enough so you recover adequately and gain weight.
    Thank you for the response.
    1)Other than the squat depth, is everything else looks fine? maybe I'm going too low because I can't produce a proper stretch reflex?
    2)How urgent is it? I don't have the money at the moment but I'm going to EU in 2 weeks so I might find it cheaper than in Israel.
    I saw many good lifters lift without them.
    *I'm gaining 1kg a week?. Should I gain more?

Bend over more. You are coming down upright. See the angle you have for your back on the way up? Have that on the way down. Start the squat "Nipples down." This will get your knees a bit further back, instead of way out past your toes.

You need shoes. I don't see many good lifters without them.

You need to address the top half: you are hunching over and cranking your elbows up too high, with your wrists bent under the barbell. This is going to cause problems. Review the section in the book on hand placement on the bar, and perhaps read Bill Hannon's article on thoracic rounding.

Keep your head down.

Eat.

You really need shoes. Check around for a used pair locally. I'm not sure exactly where you are going, but in the EU, most shoes are sold by online shops, so there is no real advantage for you waiting until your trip. Advice on shoes and gaining weight is in the book and you can read this: http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Bend over more. You are coming down upright. See the angle you have for your back on the way up? Have that on the way down. Start the squat "Nipples down." This will get your knees a bit further back, instead of way out past your toes.

You need shoes. I don't see many good lifters without them.

You need to address the top half: you are hunching over and cranking your elbows up too high, with your wrists bent under the barbell. This is going to cause problems. Review the section in the book on hand placement on the bar, and perhaps read Bill Hannon's article on thoracic rounding.

Keep your head down.

Eat.
    Thank you for the advice.
    I'm training tomorrow and will follow what you said.
    If you don't mind, can I record it and quote you again?

You really need shoes. Check around for a used pair locally. I'm not sure exactly where you are going, but in the EU, most shoes are sold by online shops, so there is no real advantage for you waiting until your trip. Advice on shoes and gaining weight is in the book and you can read this: http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf
    Thank you, will get them as soon as I can.
    "You really need shoes" - Is it a general advice? Or you saw something in my squat that shoes can help with?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Gezunterman View Post
    Thank you, will get them as soon as I can.
    "You really need shoes" - Is it a general advice? Or you saw something in my squat that shoes can help with?
    Do you have the book?

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have the book?
    Yes, I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast