starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check (am I on the road to snapsville?)

Default Deadlift form check (am I on the road to snapsville?)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Would love to get some input on my DL form from some knowledgeable folks.

I DLd 308lbs for the first time last week and I decided to film to see what my form was like.

I was appalled!

Absolutely terrible. Back was so arched it looked like a sh1tting dog.

Anyway, I went back this week to focus purely on form, just doing singles and videoing.

Below is the heaviest one 314lbs:

Deadlift (142.5kg/314lbs) - YouTube

It is better than last weeks (sorry I don't have that video) but I still feel like my back is still bending too much and I am worried it is not safe.

I don't know if it's a strength issue or if my set up is off but I find it very very hard to keep my back straight.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bing86; 08-09-2017 at 11:38 AM.

You aren't starting the pull with your back in extension. You need to lift/squeeze your chest up to set your back in extension. This is step 4 in the 5 steps.

The Deadlift in 5 Steps | Mark Rippetoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing86 View Post
    Hi,

Would love to get some input on my DL form from some knowledgeable folks.

I DLd 308lbs for the first time last week and I decided to film to see what my form was like.

I was appalled!

Absolutely terrible. Back was so arched it looked like a sh1tting dog.

Anyway, I went back this week to focus purely on form, just doing singles and videoing.

Below is the heaviest one 314lbs:

Deadlift (142.5kg/314lbs) - YouTube

It is better than last weeks (sorry I don't have that video) but I still feel like my back is still bending too much and I am worried it is not safe.

I don't know if it's a strength issue or if my set up is off but I find it very very hard to keep my back straight.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Yep, you are not squeezing into position. You are also combing steps in the setup. Grab the bar, then bend the knees. Balls to the back wall, nipples to the front and squeeze the bar off the floor.

Thanks Guys,

I had a second go today. I particularly liked the "Balls to the wall, nipples to the front" cue. Doing it at home it felt good but tried at gym and still not 100% happy. It looks a little better but think maybe I need to drop the weight and work back up?

Deadlift 2nd attempt - YouTube

Sorry about the crappy angle. I'll try to take a better one next week.

You're jerking the bar off the ground my friend and it pulls you out of position. Squeeze it off by pushing the floor away with your feet. You may need to take some weight off

You also are rushing your setup after each one and don't get into position after the first one. Take your time with it so that you get it right. I suspect some weight off will help as well with this. If you have to stand up after each one and start over then that's okay. Remember the steps. Remember midfoot. Remember hips. Big breath. Drag it up the legs.

Squeezing the Bar Off the Floor | Niki Sims

You've gotten the same piece of feedback from me, Greg_R and to a certain extent Royce but you are still doing what we have all told you not too. You are still completely missing step 4 in the 5 steps of deadlift. You must squeeze you chest UP to lock your spine into extension and take slack out of the system. You are not doing this. What you are doing is jerking the bar off the floor before your back is set which immediately makes your back start rounding.

The deadlift is probably the most difficult lift to fuck up IF you dogmatically follow the 5 steps outlined. Follow the 5 steps.
    Last edited by misspelledDino; 08-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Bing86,

1. Why are you going up in weight if your 308 looked like a dog on a lawn? If your form is not tight at a lower weight, fix your form and repeat it next time.
    2. Are you a novice? why are you attempting a 1RM?
    3. Now to your form. Like all the people have pointed out before me,
    a. You MUST point your nipples at the wall IN FRONT OF YOU and flex your back to the point that it cramps up AND your butt is pointed at the wall BEHIND you.
    b. You are also jerking the bar off the ground. Before you even think of pulling the bar off the ground, you should have so much tension on your set up that all the slack is pull out of the
    bar and your form. Think of using the weight of the bar to pull your back tight AGAINST the bar, you should almost feel the bar start to lift off the ground at lighter weights when you do
    this, you should also feel lots of tension in your legs.
    c. NOW, squeeze the bar off the ground by pushing the floor away from you and pulling your back tight against the bar as you do so.
    d. You should go down in weight to 250-275 and do the normal set of 5 with these form corrections.
    e. DON'T drop the bar.

4. If you are having a hard time isolating your spinal erectors (low back) do a set of 10 Supermans on the floor first, so you can feel what a flexed low back feels like.
    a. Supermans are done by lying on the floor on your stomach with your hands above your head and your legs straight back. Raise your legs at the hips and your chest at the waist at the same time hold for a second or two then relax back down. That is 1 rep. Do it 10 times.

Anna Marie, SSC