starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check please

Default Squat and deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm new to SS and the novice progression, and I've been going at it about 6 weeks. For the last 2 weeks I've noticed significant hip pain, left more than right, located deep in the anterior and lateral aspects of my left hip especially. I figure it's due to my squat and/or pulling form. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/GiejLgYbNBk

https://youtu.be/6ixAYlFWKgE

As far as your squat goes, you can bend over more. Drive with your hips, not your chest.

When you deadlift, don't breath at the top, keep tight till the bar is on the ground. You need to take a second between reps to breath and reset your back before you pull.
    Also, on your descent it looks that you bend your knees before the bar is below them. This has a tendency to shift the bar around and it will make your knees unhappy. Bend over till the bar is below the knees then bend them.

That being said, I don't see anything severely wrong with your form that would be injurious.

I've had pain in my right hip (it started because of something not related to lifting) for the last few months that flares up in the bottom of my squat and deadlift. However, this has not affected my ability to lift. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you eating and sleeping enough to recover fully in between sessions?

Alexander's advice is spot on.

I do think that at least one visit face to face every couple of months with a certified SS coach is well worth the 400+ miles.

Thanks guys