starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift weaker than squat?

Default Deadlift weaker than squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've always struggled with deadlifts for some reason, possibly the mechanics of my body or a weakness somewhere. My deadlift was usually at least slightly higher than my squat though. However, since starting the TM, my deadlift has plummeted and now my squat is around 405-415 while my deadlift is like 385.. not to mention I can power clean around 275. So idk what gives. Any tips on form for deadlift or possible weaknesses that are noticeable are welcomed.

Here are the videos of deadlifts at 315 and 365; as well as a squat video of 350x5 because I know someone will ask if I squat high.
    (These are all within a week of one another)
    1 - YouTube

August 12, 2017 - YouTube

3 - YouTube

Singles are not helpful. Do a set a five. What I did clearly see is that the bar was ahead of midfoot and that your shins were a couple inches away n when you pulled you didn't drag it up your legs. Ditch the straps. Watch this.

How To Deadlift: Starting Strength 5 Step Deadlift - YouTube

Hell yeah, Alan Thrall is the man and that is the video I needed. I start with the barbell too far in front of me for sure. I'm aware of the fact that the barbell is too far from my body I just didn't know how to fix it I guess, it's hard to tweak from a first person perspective.

I use the straps because I don't like using a mixed grip. Double overhand feels better to me and helps avoid any potential muscle imbalance. I went strapless my entire life up to the last year.. my grip isn't an issue at all.

Start with it closer than you think. 1 inch from the shins. Practice makes perfect. Watch the video over and over. This is a follow up to that video:

Common Deadlift Errors ft. Austin Baraki - Starting Strength Coach - YouTube

Try the hook grip. I'm not a fan of the mixed either.

Technique issues aside, I'm not surprised you are squatting more than you pull because you are high bar squatting while running Texas Method. The lack of pulling volume on TM and the relatively open hip angle/vertical torso angle of your high bar squats has left your posterior chain, spinal erectors, and lats relatively weak, IMO.

I would recommend learning how to low bar squat. If you are going to continue on TM, add in more pulling volume (HLM days, back off sets, etc...).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the tip Royce.

Adam I'm quite new to the TM. Before this I was a big advocate of 5/3/1 and will be switching back, not only because of my personal preference but Justin lascek also recommended it in combination with running(I'm in the military). I've had massive success with 5/3/1 every time. I used to squat with a lower bar placement but I started doing more Olympic lifting and kind of just adopted a high bar squat and more narrow stance with lifting shoes on.
    One of my main concerns with TM was the severe lack of back and posterior chain work. I've always placed more focus on my back than the pushing muscles so it was weird to do so little pulling. In any case I think you're probably right.