starting strength gym

Thread: Squat

Default Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, I've got two videos. One of them is 230x5 and the other is 235x5. I believe that the 235 looks off, and I just want to know how anyone else feels and what I might be able to do to correct it. Any addition critism is appreciated.

Shared album - Chris Dickson (Mirage Knight) - Google Photos

235x5

Shared album - Chris Dickson (Mirage Knight) - Google Photos

230x5

Do you ever really feel the weight on your heels? your first video indicates that the bar is behind your mid foot.

All reps in the second video are too low. you can cut the depth.

It was a little while ago so I don't completely recall. I do remember the work out before that I felt like I was a bit on my heels. To counter this I try to lean over more which I thought I was doing in the first video. I guess I'll just have to keep trying to get it over mid foot. I will post another video on my next day. Would you recommend doing 235 over again?
    Last edited by Cdickson; 08-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Increase the weight.

You might not be on your heels, It just might be a trick of perspective. If you feel balanced you are fine.

I don't think you need to bend over more.

I suggest trying to film a little further back and give an angle that is from behind. It will be easier to address things like knee position that way.
    The placement of the rack in the second video makes it hard to see things.
    Last edited by Alexander Rix; 08-12-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Gotcha. I don't often train at la fitness which is what that gym was. The first video is a gym I go to all the time, but I'm inbetween traveling.

As far as filling from behind, do you mean like the quarter back angle or a full behind the view, i.e. You see my back completely.

And so you think I should go up to 240 and push for 5?

The biggest thing going on in both of your videos is you are not setting your knees early enough. Right now you are sitting back a ton out of the top, and then your knees have no choice but to keep traveling forward the whole way to the bottom. Your knee position (and back angle) need to be set half way into your descent.

To fix this I want you to think about unlocking your hips and knees simultaneously as you begin your descent. Knees will then freeze halfway down as you continue to sit back in the hole.

Also, Alexander is correct both that your reps being a bit deep in the second video and about increasing the weight the next workout.

Good luck!

Thanks very much. Fingers crossed!

starting strength coach development program
    Video similar to the second one, but with a clear view of everything.

I agree with Caleb.