starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Press Form CheckH

Default Squat and Press Form CheckH

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

So I decided to post a form check. It actually turned out to be really useful just to see myself lift since I've never actually done that.

The squat

Here's the squat (112.5kg/248lbs)

I usually squat lower (tru, really), but I had a weird hip pain, that turned out to be coming from the deadlift (I think), so I've sort of ruined the depth in the last few sessions, and the last rep on this one is really the only thing that comes close to parallel, I think? Maybe I need to take off the 2.5kg and go below parallel with a slightly lighter weight?

I have a weird elbow imbalance(?). My right elbow can go much more higher than the left, I'm assuming that's from a small snowboarding accident that happened in January when I landed with my right hand under my back. Now I'm more flexible with the right hand?

The press (47.5kg/104lbs):

My press is total shit. Bench is slightly better (93kg estimated 1RM), but the press is terrible and has been so since the beginning (started in June, kind of) when I couldn't get past 37.5kg for a few sessions. The last set of 5 I did was 109lbs but this was 104lbs and I even missed a rep on that. Today was not a good day for the press either, for some reason. I attempted 50kg/110lbs for the first set but only got 4 reps because last time I did 49.5kg and got 5. But things aren't always as simple, it seems. :/

I have a weird thing that I do where I flare my right elbow while lowering the bar (maybe related to the accident described above?), and I get slight pain in the right shoulder (noticed it two sessions ago, have been trying to fix it). It doesn't seem that I'm doing the lift correctly, but I'm trying to keep it vertical. Not sure why this is happening though – only when I lower the bar, I think.

2nd set
    3rd set (missed rep)

Sorry for the camera work, I have invested in a tripod that can be set up anywhere, but it is on its way. Hoping to film other lifts when it comes. Anyway, thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any tips since not having a coach sucks (I'm in Latvia).
    Last edited by whatagainst; 08-12-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo

It is important to help out our NATO allies

Your squats are high. You need to widen your stance when you squat. Your heels should be at shoulder width and your toes should be pointed out from there. You will need to think about shoving your knees out more with this new stance. This will help with your depth and it should help your hip pain as well. Also drive up with your hips. You have a tendency to raise your chest up.

When you unrack the press, stand tall and keep your chest up. You want to keep this position throughout your set. Keep your elbows up as the set goes on.
    When you throw your hips forward you have a tendency to bend your knees. This is a power leak! Keep them straight!
    I also advise you to cut the bouncing you are doing in between reps. Go down, breath, and do the rep. In my experience hanging out in the bottom will just make you too tired to do the reps.

The end goal here is to get a nice bounce. A good press will have the bar drop a few inches then spring back up out of the hole.

Thanks that's really useful. I narrowed the squat stance after the pain started, but it seems it had nothing to do with squat anyway. There should be smart conclusion from this now.

Will try to implement everything on Tuesday and hopefully come back with better results. :thumbsup: