starting strength gym

Thread: Low bar squat form check; low back pain...

Default Low bar squat form check; low back pain...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Low bar squat, low back pain after squats, especially when I go high volume. When I go for like triples or a more intensity based workout, my low back seems to be tight, but not really in pain. It's the volume sessions that Kill my low back. I can barely walk properly and need to sit down for like 15 minutes to ease the pain. It's like a throbbing numbing sensation centralized a bit on the right side of my low back glute area.

Streamable - free video publishing
    Streamable - free video publishing

Is it buttwink? Im using a 1inch heeled oly shoe so it can't be a dorsilexion issue. I bought a belt yesterday so it can't be a core issue cause I'm doing the valsalva maneuver hard asf. I'm contracting my glutes as hard as possible, so I don't think it's glute either... I just don't know why I have buttwink when I'm barely even hitting parallel. Is it really the cause of my pain? I would really appreciate some help... I would see a doctor or a physio but I just don't have the money for it, and I don't wanna stop training until then either. Are low bar squats just not fit for some people? I really hope this isn't the case cause that means less muscles overall being used which sucks cause I want to compete in the future... Please helppp :'(

You are loose, you can see your torso and the bar moving around too much. Your knees are shooting forward too much. You are moving your head a lot. You have insufficient thoracic extension, etc.

Get set tighter. Bring your stance in about a half foot width on each side. Break at the hips and knees simultaneously at the start and aim your chest at the floor. Stop your forward knee travel at or just a little in front of your toes and make sure this is accomplished by the time you are halfway down. Do not let you knees move back again until you are about halfway up. Keep your face aimed at the same spot through the entire set.

Read/watch the squat grip articles/videos on here as well as the low back control and thoracic extension ones. Apply them to yourself.

Refilm from the back 45 degree angle and post for more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You are loose, you can see your torso and the bar moving around too much. Your knees are shooting forward too much. You are moving your head a lot. You have insufficient thoracic extension, etc.

Get set tighter. Bring your stance in about a half foot width on each side. Break at the hips and knees simultaneously at the start and aim your chest at the floor. Stop your forward knee travel at or just a little in front of your toes and make sure this is accomplished by the time you are halfway down. Do not let you knees move back again until you are about halfway up. Keep your face aimed at the same spot through the entire set.

Read/watch the squat grip articles/videos on here as well as the low back control and thoracic extension ones. Apply them to yourself.

Refilm from the back 45 degree angle and post for more feedback.
    So is all of that what is causing my buttwink, thereby making my back hurt? Or is the buttwink not the problem, and it's just those things as individuals that are making my back hurt? Either way, I appreciate it. I might tighten up my belt and really focus extremely hard on keeping tight next session. Also why do you suggest a narrower stance? And what was the indiciation that showed I had insufficnet throacic extension? I do lots of shoulder dislocations, but obviously that isn't enough? Thanks for the advice man!!

Quote Originally Posted by a2242364 View Post
    So is all of that what is causing my buttwink, thereby making my back hurt? Or is the buttwink not the problem, and it's just those things as individuals that are making my back hurt? Either way, I appreciate it. I might tighten up my belt and really focus extremely hard on keeping tight next session. Also why do you suggest a narrower stance? And what was the indication that showed I had insufficient throacic extension? I do lots of shoulder dislocations, but obviously that isn't enough? Thanks for the advice man!!
    First, "buttwink" is not the thing you are worried about, if it is a thing at all, which it's not. You exhibit lumbar flexion, on top of other form errors that Jeff identified. "High volume" squats done with a squishy low back is likely the cause of your low back soreness, yes.

Keeping tight is all well and good, but you need to learn how to control your thoracic and lumbar spines. It is a skill that you have to learn away from the bar if necessary. Keeping tight is just one part of the equation.

The lack of thoracic extension is indicated by the fact that your upper back is rounded and your chest is not up.

Jeff recommended bringing your heels in because too wide of a stance will result in things reaching the ends of their extensibility preventing you from getting depth. Thus, if you force through that, in order for you to get depth, something has to relax, and usually it ends up being your low back as we can see.

Regarding the knee slide, on top of what Jeff recommended, a cue that worked for me is to think about tucking your crotch down and back under your butt as you descend. When you do this correctly, you will feel your hamstrings stretch. It has the dual benefit of helping you keep your lumbar arched and preventing you from humping forward at the bottom.

What are your work set weights and what does your programming look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    First, "buttwink" is not the thing you are worried about, if it is a thing at all, which it's not. You exhibit lumbar flexion, on top of other form errors that Jeff identified. "High volume" squats done with a squishy low back is likely the cause of your low back soreness, yes.

Keeping tight is all well and good, but you need to learn how to control your thoracic and lumbar spines. It is a skill that you have to learn away from the bar if necessary. Keeping tight is just one part of the equation.

The lack of thoracic extension is indicated by the fact that your upper back is rounded and your chest is not up.

Jeff recommended bringing your heels in because too wide of a stance will result in things reaching the ends of their extensibility preventing you from getting depth. Thus, if you force through that, in order for you to get depth, something has to relax, and usually it ends up being your low back as we can see.

Regarding the knee slide, on top of what Jeff recommended, a cue that worked for me is to think about tucking your crotch down and back under your butt as you descend. When you do this correctly, you will feel your hamstrings stretch. It has the dual benefit of helping you keep your lumbar arched and preventing you from humping forward at the bottom.

What are your work set weights and what does your programming look like?
    My working sets vary cause im on a periodized program (canditos 6 week strength program). But my projected 1rm is 335. I also just got done reading Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon this article, and it seems to describe the issue I'm having correct? So what I need to do is tighten up my upper and lower back more by really pushing the bar into my back hard and pushing my chest up throughout the entire rep? I'm gonna make a concious effort to focus on this next session. I will also try narrowing in a bit, in terms of stance width. I really hope this helps because this has been weighing me down physically and mentally for the longest time. Extremely demotivating, but hopefully this helps. Thanks a lot!