starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another squat form check

Default Yet another squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I hope you are not tired of watching people squat yet! I started SS couple of months ago and I now consider it to be some kind of texan desert magic. Amazing how quick you can add weight to the bar.
    The squat in question is 120kg or 264lbs, last set as specified.

My problems:

Lower back rounding (buttwink)
    Forearm Pain.
    After that set my forarms hurt like hell, elbow biceps triceps were fine. Couldn't bench press though. I suspect overuse, since I started helping out at a moving company to earn some dough on the side.
    Bar Placement

What I know I need to fix after watching the video myself:

Keep head down
    Breathe and brace correctly

VID_20170812_153341512.mp4 - Google Drive

Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers

This isn't according to the model. I am not trying to be a jerk, but have you read the book?

Step 1: Get some shoes.

Step 2: reread the book.

Step 3: get your knees out, get your head down, bend over. You are coming down very upright with your knees caved in.

1) Buy shoes.

2) Take a slightly closer stance and push your knees out hard

3) Learn how to control your lumbar, keep it extended, and don't go so deep

4) Keep your chest extended. It's caving hard at the bottom.

3 and 4 are conflicting goals, so you need to do these things hard.

You are driving your elbows up when you stand up. Don't do that.

Got it, thanks!

Okay, I reread the squat section about 2 times and I am in the process of reading it all again. Been a while since I read it. I think I watched Rip teach the squat for atleast 2 hours. I dropped down to 80kg, 176lbs to get the form right and work up again. Here is the last set I did yesterday. Looks quite a bit better, but well what do I know?
    Feels much harder, maybe just unusual for me. Still have to sort out that hip drive thing.

VID_20170817_172610937.mp4 - Google Drive reps start at 0:20

Feet were a little wider than shoulder width, feet were turned out to about 30°. I think in the video it looks like I turned my feet way out, maybe just a perspective issue.

feedback would be appreciated
    Hope you have a great day!

Shoes are better than bare feet, but I suspect Karl meant get some squat shoes. They'll make a difference and are worth the investment.

You can't use hip drive because you're still too upright, and your weight is shifting onto your toes as you descend.

First, stand up straight in between reps. Half crouching is going to get tiring.

Next, from the top of the rep, knees should go forward and out and hips should go back AT THE SAME TIME. You've got the knees going forward/out, but you're not reaching back with your hips. So really reach back for the wall behind you with your hips/butt. As hard as you can. This will set a more horizontal back angle, which is what we want.

About halfway down, your knee travel should stop and you just continue to reach back and down with your hips. This will put you in a good position at the bottom of the squat to drive your hips back up.

A more horizontal back angle requires that you have a strong, tight, braced torso. So, huge breath and really clamp down. More than you are now.

Summary:
    1. Stand up straight
    2. Huge breath, brace tighter
    3. Knees forward/out + HIPS BACK to set the back angle
    4. Halfway down, knees stop and HIPS BACK AND DOWN
    5. Drive hips up on the ascent

Lastly, you're going too deep, so cut it off by an inch or two.

If you're anywhere near an SSC they could help you clear a lot of this up in a session or two.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you so much Mia! Great feedback. Will work hard on that. If something like Karma exists, you coaches here on SS forum should play the lottery.
    I am waiting for my squat shoes to arrive.
    Have a great weekend