Thread: High bar squat form check

Default High bar squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Link = X - YouTube
    Weight = 122.5kg
    Set = 3

I cant do low bar due to a shoulder injury and an anatomical kyphosis of my thoracic spine

I have no idea why this was so hard and why my form is breaking down. I've squatted this weight pretty comfortably about 3/4 weeks ago, but I deloaded at a higher weight due to external stressors making training too hard.
    For the last 2 weeks, I've been eating and sleeping plenty and greatly reduced external stessors.
    The only factor that could have affected my ability to squat this is that this is my 4th squatting session in 7 days (M/W/F/Sun). I dont think the extra rest day would have had made too much of a difference.

Thoughts/criticisms/suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by SS2016; 08-14-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Why are you squatting four times a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Why are you squatting four times a week?
    My usual schedule is F/Sun/Tue but certain things came up that forced me to miss a session last Sunday so I went on Monday. I'll be training tomorrow then I'll have a good 2 day break.

It would help a lot if you had a better video. The camera is awfully far away. Also, having watched your press video, I'm not so sure that you couldn't do a low bar squat. Where do you live?

It's hard to see form issues as Jeff mentioned but I'd point out one thing: your third rep finishes at :20 and your fifth rep finishes at :54. That's more than 15 seconds under load between reps. This is not doing you any favors and all that extra time under load is probably contributing to any form breakdown on those last reps. It can be helpful to get an extra couple of breaths between the last reps, sure, but try to start the next one within 3-4 seconds.

Do you have access to a coach? The second best option if you do not have access is online coaching.

starting strength coach development program
    I finally got a belt today (4inch, 10mm). Holy fuck was there a difference. I went up to 125kg x 3 x 5 and it felt 100x easier than 122.5kg. My lower back felt good throughout, depth was good, bar path felt good. It's the first squatting session in ~2 months that felt really manageable. I had a few issues with the original shop that I ordered the belt from then decided to just order online on Friday and it came today. I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    It's hard to see form issues as Jeff mentioned but I'd point out one thing: your third rep finishes at :20 and your fifth rep finishes at :54. That's more than 15 seconds under load between reps. This is not doing you any favors and all that extra time under load is probably contributing to any form breakdown on those last reps. It can be helpful to get an extra couple of breaths between the last reps, sure, but try to start the next one within 3-4 seconds.
    The reason I took the long rest in between reps was so I could just catch my breath and get a bit of energy back. I usually bang out my first 3 reps pretty quickly with ~1 second rest between reps then slow it down to 3-4 seconds between reps 3 and 4 and reps 4 and 5. For that set, I was struggling hard to complete each rep.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    Do you have access to a coach? The second best option if you do not have access is online coaching.
    No access to a coach. SSOC is far too expensive for me