starting strength gym

Thread: First Form Check for Squat, Press, and Deadlift

Default First Form Check for Squat, Press, and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I was just looking to get some feedback on my form on the squat, press, and deadlift. I'm 5'6 and 192 lbs and I am one month into LP.

Also, please let me know if I should film these videos in different angles.

Thanks

Squat: You're collapsing into the bottom and bouncing off of your calves. Get tighter and maintain control on the descent. You're also trying to keep your torso too vertical on the way down. Lean over a bit.
    Press: More aggression. One must press with hate in one's heart, especially if you're doing a strict press.
    Deadlift: You never even try to set your back prior to pulling. Squeeze your chest up as hard as you can, then push the floor away.

Quote Originally Posted by dangolgrv View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I was just looking to get some feedback on my form on the squat, press, and deadlift. I'm 5'6 and 192 lbs and I am one month into LP.

Also, please let me know if I should film these videos in different angles.

Thanks
    Going to keep it brief. There are quite a few things going on but let's see if focusing on a couple things will help clean things up.
    Squat:
    Cut off a few inches to your depth. You're going way too deep and this is causing all sorts of funky things. Hip crease below the knee is all you need. Some good weightlifting shoes would help you.

Press:
    Fix your grip. The bar should be resting in the palm not the fingers. You see how bent your wrists are? Straighten them. You also need to get tighter. If you're going to press 1.0 style that's fine, just make sure you don't get loose. Aim for the nose on the way up and down. Get your elbows in front of the bar.

DL
    You're jerking the bar off the ground. Squeeze it off the floor by pushing the floor away from you with your feet. Read niki sims article on squeezing the bar off the floor. Watch Austin barakis and Alan thralls video on YouTube about the DL setup and common mistakes. Also, breathe at the bottom not the top.

Thank you so much. I'll keep these in mind and post updated videos in the future.