starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squat check 280

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Dont mean to hijack here but this caught my interest. Is it the same for deadlifts? Like if you get a set of five but your back was not locked in extension very well should the advice be drop the weight or just 'focus' on it next time? I'm sure this varies on a case by case basis.
    Increase the weight, then set your back. The weight never goes down if you make the reps, no matter how crappy they are. I am an SSOC client. I didn't lock out on my last press rep as well as I should have and then missed the rack while trying to rerack the weight. The bar fell down, hit me in the leg, etc. It was a disaster. The weight still went up 5 lbs the next workout. A sloppy low back can still be trained to set harder next time if you just focus on it. Increase the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddecisions View Post
    Not able to upload video, because I can't have electronics at work. But I hit 285 for 1 set of 5 remembering my cues. The other sets I got 4 and 3. Form aside, I think it's time to start implementing a lighter day on Wednesday and only moving up in weight twice a week. From what I've read, this is usually the prescription towards the later end of novice linear progression. I want to be a novice as long as I can before moving on to the Texas method. My first failed set was at 155, so I think I'm squeezing this for all it's worth.
    Unless you've missed 285 two -- maybe three times consecutively or regress, I wouldn't arbitrarily add the light day. Reattempt 285 with a focus on increasing recovery factors like food intake and sleep. One of the more common mistakes with SSLP is to modify the program when it's not necessary. Keep trying! I understand that getting under that barbell 5 lbs heavier each time is literally the heaviest squat of your life every time you do it. But adding complexity because of "the feels" is not wise. This is slowly turning into a programming thread. Next time you squat, shoot a video over. Let's stay focused on that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burgos View Post
    Increase the weight, then set your back. The weight never goes down if you make the reps, no matter how crappy they are. I am an SSOC client. I didn't lock out on my last press rep as well as I should have and then missed the rack while trying to rerack the weight. The bar fell down, hit me in the leg, etc. It was a disaster. The weight still went up 5 lbs the next workout. A sloppy low back can still be trained to set harder next time if you just focus on it. Increase the weight.

Unless you've missed 285 two -- maybe three times consecutively or regress, I wouldn't arbitrarily add the light day. Reattempt 285 with a focus on increasing recovery factors like food intake and sleep. One of the more common mistakes with SSLP is to modify the program when it's not necessary. Keep trying! I understand that getting under that barbell 5 lbs heavier each time is literally the heaviest squat of your life every time you do it. But adding complexity because of "the feels" is not wise. This is slowly turning into a programming thread. Next time you squat, shoot a video over. Let's stay focused on that.
    thanks for the clear up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123