starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-worked squat check

Default Re-worked squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Since my last post I dropped the weight down by a pretty large amount and basically dumbed down my thoughts for it to: knees out first and focus completely on keeping the bar in a balanced and straight line. I believe this way of thinking has served me pretty well so far, so I wanted to see if others think these look pretty good as well?

Though a few things, my right knee tends to cave a little bit in the last rep or two usually in the second or generally in the third set. Is there any obvious reason from these videos why, like moving my hips back on the way up? My left hip is a tiny bit sore, so either its from the knee caving or perhaps I am twisting/shifting the left a little on the way up, but I have not done a behind video to verify that. The second thing, am I nitpicking or do I sometimes drop forward at the bottom and that pushes the bar forward a little? Thanks for the help!

I edited the videos and joined each day session in to one. I have been doing small weight increases as I wanted to lose a little fat while fixing my form until I could not do it anymore before continuing with the weight gaining.

8/9 SQ 8 7 17 - YouTube

8/11 SQ 8 11 17 - YouTube

It would help a lot if you got a video from the rear 45 degree angle as it's hard to see a lot of diagnostics from this angle. I can tell, though, that you have your head aimed too far down and, based on how you have your elbows up high, that you need to work on your thoracic (upper back) extension. Check out the article on here about thoracic extension and apply. Also, you're leading with your knees a little too much. They and your hips should break at the same time and you should immediately work on aiming your chest to the floor (a lot easier when you have a tight upper back).

I thought in the book it was briefly mentioned that is was ok to look down so you can keep an eye on what your knees are doing? That is basically why I am doing it, but perhaps I have taken it too far.

As for the thoracic extension, I had a feeling I was forgetting to do that part more so thanks for the confirmation. I know the article you are referring to so I'll reread it again and apply it much more than I have been. Once I get more confident that the bar is where it needs to be my breaking should be better as I do that as a correction for my previous lack of knee movement issue.

I've often been guilty of looking too far down and, honestly, it makes it harder to keep the upper back in extension when you're looking down at your knees. If you need to kind of check them once or twice in a warm-up, that's fair, but at work weight, looking down that far will mess up everything.

For checking what you're doing, you'd be better off just filming every set you do (including your empty bar warmups) and watch them as soon as you're done with that set. That way, you get some feedback right away and can make corrections with your next set.

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
    I thought in the book it was briefly mentioned that is was ok to look down so you can keep an eye on what your knees are doing? That is basically why I am doing it, but perhaps I have taken it too far.
    If you are using TUBOW; otherwise, no. Page 56.

ah OK, I must have forgotten that is was in the TUBOW section only.

I tried again this morning and focused on keeping my back in extension like the article mentioned and keeping my head up a bit more. I dropped the weight by 10 pds to help and I did not practice so this is basically my first 3 tries focusing on that part. I think in concentrating on the extension part, I kind of forgot to keep my straight bar imagination going, so I think going back to that should help with the bar moving forward part? Otherwise how does it look now?

8 18 17 - YouTube

Better. It looks like your knees are caving in as you start the ascent. Work on keeping them out as you start to come up. It might help if you slow down a little bit on your descent. You still have your eblows jacked up a little high, too.

OK, good to know it looks better so I'll keep going with that. When I get used to the form more my knees and descent should clean up as it was a little awkward feeling and like I mentioned before, I was forgetting to keep in line so I'm sure that had something to do with the caving in. I'll try keeping my elbows down as well and see how that goes. Thanks!

OK, I think I have it, so now how do these look? As you had mentioned, I focused on really keeping thoracic extension, looking up a little, elbows down some with more shoulder blade squeezing for support and really tightening my lower back.

Wednesday: 8 23 17 - YouTube

Today: 8 25 17 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    These look better. I think we coukd do a lottle fine-tuning of your knees and upper back, but I'm not sure - the rack uprights obscure you a little.

Where do you live?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast